Smoke shack almost finished, help mounting backwoods

grantw

is Blowin Smoke!
7805E563-A254-4D77-8F12-5797DCA9D461_zpssctdn5tp.jpg

What is the best plan to make an exhaust?
Im going to line the full floor with tin and up the wall abit. I want to be able to just leave my backwoods in there.

I would look into doing it like you would with a gas powered appliance in a house. Use a 4-6" pipe with a metal boot to go thru the roof. I have my backwoods fitted with a rectangle register duct to transition from a rectangle that fits over the exhaust and allows me to connect a round flex pipe to it. I use that if i have to cook under a pop up tent and want to keep the smoke out.
That being said I would be cautious of not keeping a close eye on that thing if i had it inside. Bad things can happen. I hate how my fatboy likes to spill hot coals when you have to slide the basket out to refill. Also after cooking on it for a year I somehow had a lapse of judgment in setting my dampers in the middle of a late night cook. The pit got to about 500*. Luckly it did not sustain any kind of damage and was outside. It did cause a grease fire to happen once I opened the door and air was allowed in. All Im saying is think twice and if you must be really careful.

Went and looked at oven range hoods, they are cheap enough. If i mount it high enough off my cooker it should work good?

I ended up puting a elcheapo bathroom fan at roof level and it seems to do fairly well. Winter is going to be a breeze this year :-D

Back