Sifting Pellets

Randy3269

is one Smokin' Farker
Does anyone sift pellets when you get to the bottom of a bag? If so, what do you use?

Thanks in advance!!

I have only done that a couple of times. I used an old plastic colander. I have thought about making a larger wood frame and some hardware fencing to spread them thinner. It took a lot of shaking and such with the colander.

I do sift the pellets at the bottom because it is mostly dust.

I bought a sifter from Amazon that fits nicely over a 5 gallon bucket. Look up “ SE 13 1/4 Inch Stackable Classifier Gold Prospecting Pan - 1/8 Inch Stainless Steel Mesh Sifting Pan, Green”

Last edited:
Don't know much about pellet smokers or grills so sorry if this is a dumb question but why do you need to sift them?
Can't you burn the dust as well or does it cause issues?

Dust + moisture = concrete for your auger, which will now be stuck and require digging out all the pellets, vacuuming, and poking out the mess with a screwdriver if you're lucky. Some people get a bad enough jam that disassembly of the auger mechanism is needed.

Same can happen with just the pellets absorbing moisture after a good rain, if your smoker lets in enough water.

I have been cooking with pellets for 10 years and never sifted them for any reason. I have also never had a failure in any of my pellet grills. I do the prescribed maintenance between cooks and everything runs perfectly.

I sift pellets in a colander, then warm in the microwave before lighting my cold smoking tube. Really helps, but I'm using a very small amount at a time.

8KuG5Cb.jpg

Slowly pour (trickle) pellets into hopper from 12+ inches above hopper when there is a breeze...stand upwind...pellet dust blows away.

If you do not want the dust flying all over you grilling area, you could do this into a bucket in another location where you don't mind the dust blowing.

I appreciate all the replies. I've had the exact problem SmokeOCD described. It's likely attributed to being gone for long periods of time for work. I put a cover on it when we leave but still have clogged/stuck pellets in the auger.

I ordered the one recommended by Shadowdog 500.

Thank you all!!
Randy

Not sure where Canyon Lake is located but sounds like a high humidity location. Up here on the High Plains 30% is high humidity. Usually much lower often negative dew point. Your pellets possibly absorb moisture mine get drier.i don't sift, however when I get to the last inch or two of the bottom of the bag of Pit Boss, I've been known to toss the crumbles.

Back