THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Infamous Dave

Got Wood.
My community has a farmers market that just started up last year. Seems to be pretty successful so I am thinking about trying to sell BBQ supplies. I want to have some rubs, marinades and sauces that are unique. Maybe someone on this site is selling these products wholesale? I might try plowboys or 3rdeyes. I want stuff that is unique that you cant get at the store but I need to be able to buy it wholesale.

I'll probably sell smoking wood which I can easily get my hands on and maybe a unique quality brand of lump charcoal. I was also thinking of a BBQ cookbook and stuff like rib racks and a few different types of meat thermometers.

To draw people in I would probably cook something while the market is happening and maybe even provide small free samples(if that is legal without a food license).

Anyone have any idea where I can buy this kind of stuff wholesale but I dont want to buy pallets of anything just a case or two?

Anyone have any other ideas of products I could offer?

I'm not looking to make a ton of money doing this, I just think it would be a fun way to introduce people in my community to the wonderful world of BBQ. Up here in Minnesota not a lot of folks are into it or even realize what good BBQ is.

Can't really help ya but I'm sure someone will pipe in soon. A question for you? Are you in an area that has alot of people that do or are interested in smoking? If not maybe have a smoker setup and running or sample food for those interested. Just a thought cause I know people really love those farmers markets at least where we live they do. Good luck though. Woops sorry I didn't read your whole post (me bad) about the samples but I think your on the right track.

Dave,
Check with your local HD about giving away samples. Probably NOT going to let you do that.
But, having a smoker going WILL draw people to your site.
It will definately give you some exposure if you are getting into the business!!!

Dave,
Check with your local HD about giving away samples. Probably NOT going to let you do that.
But, having a smoker going WILL draw people to your site.
It will definately give you some exposure if you are getting into the business!!!
I worked a lot of weekend farmers markets the last couple years getting my bbq sauce business off the ground
you can sample out food but the food license for summers worth of markets was pretty pricey plus there were all kinds of requirements for cooking on site ..basically a lot of equipment i did not want to drag along every weekend and set up.
I opted for just sampling the sauce only and since it was a packaged product the license was half the price without all the other nonsense.
The health dept did spot checks at most of these markets too. Certain markets ( ones i knew generated bigger crowds and looser wallets) I did opt for the more expensive license but those were minimal.
Keep in mind this is in Chicago. Rules may very well be different in other states
As far as product why not buy some BBQ product produced from some of the Brethren members here? Cant speak for everyone but I know Id have no problems selling you some product for resale..PM me for info

heads red, thanks for the insight. I will certainly give you a pm later today when I have more I was hoping to be able to purchase unique products from the Brethern.

To the best of your knowlwedge in your area, what type of license is needed just to sell prepackaged food items such as rubs and sauce?

I guess my other question should have been, does anyone think this is a good idea? Would you purchase unique BBQ items at a farmer's Market? I guess I know I would!

heads red, thanks for the insight. I will certainly give you a pm later today when I have more I was hoping to be able to purchase unique products from the Brethern.

To the best of your knowlwedge in your area, what type of license is needed just to sell prepackaged food items such as rubs and sauce?
again i can only speak for my area (Chicago)..
if you are just selling prepackaged items and no sampling then there is no health permit involved..
If you sample sauce only with crackers or whatever then you ahve to have a health permit.
Bottom line more people will buy a food product if they can sample it first

I guess my other question should have been, does anyone think this is a good idea? Would you purchase unique BBQ items at a farmer's Market? I guess I know I would!

as long as there isnt a lot of others sellng the same type product AND if the market you are working consistently draws big crowds its a good idea..Personally I would test the waters first and not prepay for bunch of markets upfront and buy a ton of product to sell

To buy wholesale you'll need a business license & a tax ID#.

Not necessarily in all circumstances. Many of the smaller manufacturers will sell to anyone with money. IMHO, the best thing to do is call around and ask what the price breaks are for the quantity levels. Worse case scenario is that you'll have to prepay and wait for the product to arrive. Best of luck!

-Joel

B.P. Minnesota, ? Belle Plain, Brooklyn Park, Blooming Prairie, I'm sure there are more....
Always looking for more options I'm in S. Mpls when I'm in MN.
For Charcoal you might be able to set something up with Phil that used to be with the Outdoor Cooking Store of WB (White Bear)
He has a charcoal supply place off Lake St and Hiawatha in Mpls that I have yet to get over too. Maybe some of the other Brethren that run on-line might have ideas or co-brand sales

B.P. Minnesota, ? Belle Plain, Brooklyn Park, Blooming Prairie, I'm sure there are more....
Always looking for more options I'm in S. Mpls when I'm in MN.
For Charcoal you might be able to set something up with Phil that used to be with the Outdoor Cooking Store of WB (White Bear)
He has a charcoal supply place off Lake St and Hiawatha in Mpls that I have yet to get over too. Maybe some of the other Brethren that run on-line might have ideas or co-brand sales

Yep, its one of those 3!:thumb:

Back