THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have an SRG that i'm cooking with. Lately I've been cutting up taters, thowing them in tinfoil with butter, little louies, and bacon jalapeno rub. When I put those on I set my cast iron fajita pan on with them. So it heats up for about 25 minutes and hits about 600 degrees. So thats where I'm at.

...Using high heat to bring the skillet up works fine and, to be truthful, the steaks seem to sear OK. But the engineer in me likes to have some numbers associated with a manufacturing process...

:mrgreen: It's an occupational hazard, and / or chronic behavioral issue. Don't get too far down the IR thermometer tuning rat hole :wink:

Once I get 550 - 600*F depending on where I sample the skillet temp, I load the steak. Works for me!

Just use your chimney starter.

0aa9ef2894c4a38d5ca6edf2698fa61d.mov

7f3349a2a1114fa3af37436cece3e4c7.jpg

Searing is an opinion of personal taste. To some, a sear could mean slight browning which would involve a lower temp, and more time. While others may consider a sear a crust with some char on it which would require a higher temp and less time. And then there's burnt which requires high heat and more time.

Back