Saturday night steak & sausage

aks801

is Blowin Smoke!
Had to time this cook to dodge some weather. Rainy early afternoon, projected heavy rains starting in the evening. It worked out.

Cooking over KBB and a lump of hickory on my kettle, I did a reverse sear on some nice looking filets I picked up from Sam's. About 3 hours ahead of cooking I gave them a healthy sprinkling of Kosher salt and let them sit in the fridge. Before putting them on the grill just sprinkled on some coarse black pepper. Also tossed in rings of Slovacek's Garlic sausage and Longhorn Cheddar sausage by HEB. I tilted the lid a bit during the indirect phase, and temps stayed about 230. Pulled the filets out when they hit around 115 internal. Had a 3/4 full chimney going in the meanwhile, and after the pull I poured them in just on one side (the side where I had a small amount of charcoal going). Slathered on some garlic butter on the filets and put them over that high heat. Sure didn't take long. Pulled them off when they hit about 135 or so-ish.

Here is what I brought inside. You may notice part of that sausage didn't make the trip indoors. Cook's bonus.
picture.php

And this is what I sat down to. Pretty much a perfect medium-rare throughout the thickness of that steak. Plated it with some sausage, some mashed taters and some salad. For thicker steaks I am SOLD on the reverse sear technique. My dinner companions were two of my daughters and my wife, and they seemed to enjoy their meals.
picture.php

Now I am off to make some dough for tomorrow night's pizza: guh.

Back