THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

masque13

is one Smokin' Farker
for those of you who have competed in one of these events........can you simply just enter one of these events that fits into your schedule and driving ranges? or is the Sam's Club Tour a situation where you have to be involved in multiple events?

I'm pretty sure it's ok to do one as a one off deal, but just checking in with those of you with more experience with them.

Lastly, do you have any advice for how quickly you should sign up for an event you see that fits your schedule?

Locals are single contests. If you place top 6 in the local, you can advance to regionals. you do not have to go to regionals if you wish not to.

FYI, many of the sams are filled up instantly when the registration window opens. If you want to compete, you need to be at your computer and ready when it opens.

Because they are $10k contests with 30 teams. Plus, if you advance and pass it goes to the next guy.

And in the East, I have a strong feeling many will pass on the Regional.

My thoughts on it are if you don't plan on going to the Regionals or Finals, then why sign-up. You are potentially taking a spot from someone that is willing and wanting to move on to the next levels.

I kind of agree but if you think there probably aren't already about 20-30% (or more) doing this each year.............:becky:

Sign ups have seemed to take longer to fill up. Last year I remember a few filled up within 24hrs, but seemed to take weeks and some over a month to fully fill up.

Those that want to move up sign up right away. Or at least they should :clap2:

Exactly Dan! I did the Tucson Sam's local last year knowing that I couldn't do the regional because I had already committed myself to another competition.

Why did I do it?
- $10,000 prize fund
- $250 entry fee
- There are only a few contests in AZ so I wanted to support this event
- I love competing
- I took GC the previous year (2014) and ended up taking GC this past year
- The competition only ended up with 29 teams
- By me not advancing it allowed a great BBQ friend of mine to advance (who ended up in the finals and took 2nd place brisket with a 180!)
- Did I mention that I love competing in BBQ comps??

That's only a few of the reasons....

My thoughts on it are if you don't plan on going to the Regionals or Finals, then why sign-up. You are potentially taking a spot from someone that is willing and wanting to move on to the next levels.

It is, what it is. In some areas there aren't 6 KCBS contests within an hour. If you want to cook KCBS and it's close, and you pay your entry fee you've fulfilled your obligation. After year one, I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone that doesn't get in. If you want in bad enough it's just a matter of making it happen.

If you place and choose not to move on the pass down rule is there. These events can't be all things to all people. For some it's an opportunity to cook KCBS which they don't get to do often. To others it's the beginning of a journey to Bentonville and $50k. Neither is wrong.

It's just BBQ.

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz
If you want to enter, the best way to ensure a spot in the contest you want to attend is to be at your computer at the appointed time with you credit card and your KCBS number. You need to have your KCBS membership paid up in order to enter. Some contests fill up in minutes, some never do. Unfortunately, you won't know which category the contest you want to enter falls into. You can probably guess a little as to how full the contest will be based on the prior years number of entrants, but they shift the contests around somewhat each year.

Back