Salvaging overcooked flat?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey folks,
I got one of those ornery briskets that the flat never probed tender till 210. It was okay, didn't get any complaints. I'm my opinion it was overcooked and dry. I vacuum packed and froze in tallow.
After thawing in fridge, what's best way to warm? Souse vide - to what temp & how long?
I'm thinking of slicing thin and sousing for sandwiches.
Thoughts, experiences, advice please?
Thanks in advance,
JD

Sorry that your brisket disappointed, but we've all been there. I have often made brisket chili with mine and was always very pleased with it. Brisket tacos, since you will be using a salsa or other sauce with them is a good idea.

Dry and crumbly, or dry and tough/chewy? The first one is over cooked, the second under. I liked chopped beef sandwiches, if it’s over cooked it ought to fall apart easily….add some sauce, stir together, put on bun.

If you’re able to thinly sliced, it doesn’t sound over cooked to me. I reheat bbq using sous vide often, it works great.

How about sliced thinly on a nice roll or baguette with lots of mayo, tomatoes, lettuce?
Maybe even bacon.

Dry and crumbly, or dry and tough/chewy? The first one is over cooked, the second under. I liked chopped beef sandwiches, if it’s over cooked it ought to fall apart easily….add some sauce, stir together, put on bun.

If you’re able to thinly sliced, it doesn’t sound over cooked to me. I reheat bbq using sous vide often, it works great.

Hey Sudsandwine,

Thanks... I'll try that. What's you method for chopping for sandwiches. This is what I'd like to do. Do YouTube or dice? I can't picture it being able to be pulled, but I could be wrong. Would you add a little au jus to the sauce for added moisture?
Thanks again,
JD

If it’s undercooked, you can probably render it with an extended hold. If it’s over, it’ll just kind of fall apart so you shouldn’t have too much trouble chopping it. It sounds to me like you undercooked it based on the fact you’re able to thinly slice.

Back