Royal Oak Chef's Best Charcoal at Webstaurant Store?

JackBBQ

Got Wood.
I've been wanting to try Royal Oak Chef's Select briquettes, but they are unavailable in my area, and shipping is outrageous at the places I've found them on the internet.

However, Webstaurant has Royal Oak Chef's Best (as opposed to Select) for $8.29 for 20 lb bags (minimum order of 9 bags), with reasonable shipping.

Does anyone know what the difference is in the Best vs. the Select? Could they be the same thing marketed under different names?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/roy...8CBROREST.html

99% sure they are the same product. My local supplier sells the 40 lb bags and sometimes it's the select and sometimes the best. I can not recall any difference in the size, aroma or performance between the two. $18/bag pick up

99% sure they are the same product. My local supplier sells the 40 lb bags and sometimes it's the select and sometimes the best. I can not recall any difference in the size, aroma or performance between the two. $18/bag pick up

How do you like them? I've heard very good things about them.

Last edited:
I don't know about Chef Best, but Chef Select has been my go-to for quite a while. Love that stuff!

Do you know anyone that is remotely connected to a restaurant or other business that serves food (Meals on Wheels, a school system etc.) ?

We have two food service companies in town, but they don't sell to the public. So.... three owners and one chef I know will gladly add some items to their weekly order, and I just reimburse them at cost. Besides good deals on food, they carry lump charcoal. The most attractive deal for me is Lazzari brand mesquite lump in the 40# bags, which I love for smoking beef. There is no shipping costs involved as that is factored into the price.

Just bought five 40-lb bags from DoItBest Hardware (free shipping to store near me).

Exactly, my DIB hardware does the same thing. Although sometimes the Home Depot price will beat them. And at HD you can sort through bags and get ones without a lot of fines in the bottom.

Back