Royal Oak Charcoal Briquettes-GOOD?

fireman_pete

Full Fledged Farker
So I was stuck on duty, and totally missed the labor day charcoal sales on Kingsford charcoal.

Was just looking at Lowes, and they have Royal Oak 15.4-lb Charcoal Briquettes for $5.99/bag. Seems like a killer deal.

I have never used the Royal Oak briquettes. How do they compare to Kingsford? I mainly use it for hot/fast direct grilling in on my Santa Maria style BBQ grill.

THANKS

Pete

I use Royal Oak except for when I can get the two for one deal on Kingsford. On top of that, Family Dollar, Walmart, Kroger, Home Depot Embers brand, and Target private brands are made by Royal Oak and generally cost less. There are other brands, you just need to read the labels.

I picked up some earlier this summer, didn't like it so much I found it super smokey at light up and it took a little longer to ash over. I like Stubbs. I have a couple bags of the ro briqs left if you want to try it shoot me a pm.

ps: I burn wood splits in my santa Maria

So I was stuck on duty, and totally missed the labor day charcoal sales on Kingsford charcoal.

Was just looking at Lowes, and they have Royal Oak 15.4-lb Charcoal Briquettes for $5.99/bag. Seems like a killer deal.

I have never used the Royal Oak briquettes. How do they compare to Kingsford? I mainly use it for hot/fast direct grilling in on my Santa Maria style BBQ grill.

THANKS

Pete

The RO briqs are solid but I think Weber is superior to all other brands for that category.

In terms of cooking hot and fast, you'd be better off using lump instead of the briquettes. RO has 15.4 bags of that as well.

I only use Royal Oak.

I should clarify, I don't use the red bag RO. I use this stuff pictured.
3367542768a4aeef3f1b8f57ebebe69b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STUBBS is better than R.O. but it is half again as much hard wood brickets take longer than kingsford to ash over read the MSDS sheat on kingsford it`s scarey after all it is just two steps above cow pattys

Thanks for all the replies and feedback. We use our Santa Maria grill 2-3 times a week for catering. We are using it for only grilling chicken. I use charcoal versus wood because it lights faster, and gives us an even/uniform cooking area across the grill. The grill is 2'x4'.

Normally I use a 15#-18# bag of Kingsford per event. I always buy it on sale, but like I said, miss it this time. Looking for a close alternative, and was surprised to see the RO for only $5.99/bag.

I have used the RO lump before, and it work great, but is actually too hot for us :)

I really like the RO Chefs Select charcoal, but cannot find it locally.

Thanks again!

Pete

where did you find them?

If I could get a hold of the Royal Oak Chef's Select, I would have a huge smile. Better yet, Gordon's Food Service(GFS) briquettes are THE best burning/longest lasting available. Closest thing I've found to 100% natural; the binding agent is almost completely natural.

Kingsford is trash.

Royal Oak is leaps and bounds above KBB but all fall short of Weber, but one bag and try it...

First, I would never use KBB. I always use RO and the briqs in my kettle for anything long and lump for the kettle for hot and fast. I use lump for a bed of coals in my stick burner and light the lump with a chimney of briqs.

Chef Select can be hard to find. What I did is I googled it and crossed referenced it with any possible stores in my area and Bingo!!!... a hardware store near me carries it and are happy to order as much as I want. 40 lb bags are <$25 which is not a bad deal.

I've had so much smoke on startup when I've used the red bag RO it was scary. Seemed to take a lot longer to light and ash-over than other briquettes too. But it's cheap.

I bought 4 bags of the red RO awhile back because it was 4 bucks. Hated every moment of it. Took FOREVER to ash over and gave off silly smoke on startup. Once it was burning it didnt seem as hot as KBB. Weber is my go to for sure but I have 0 intentions of ever buying RO red ever again. I threw 2 bags in the dumpster yesterday.

My mind is made up

Based on price, reviews, and availability, here's my list:

• Royal Oak Chef Select (can't beat the briq size, and bag size for the $$)
  • Stubb's ($10 per 14# at Lowe's)
Weber is too expensive!

BTW...... a google search for 100% natural briqs produced the following:
https://originalnaturalcharcoal.com/products/charcoal-briquettes

here's the email to the manufacturer; make your own decision....

Hi,

All our products blend of apple,cherry and oak,when we package lump charcoal we screen two inch minus pieces and then grind them to charcoal powder in our stone mills, we have proprietary recipe, we binding with grain wheat . We manufacture in Ukraine.

Thanks for your inquiry
:

What type of wood is used in your briquettes? What location does the wood come from? What type of binders are used?

:shocked::hand::hand: no thanks!

Back