THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've never bothered trying to reverse sear - just seems like extra trouble and too much potential for overcooking. For anything up to about 1 1/2" thickness, I go screaming hot the entire time, flipping frequently, until I hit my target temp (around 120-125 for beef, 140-145 for chops). For thicker stuff, I just reduce the temp a little so the outside doesn't burn, flip every few minutes so that the interior gets done evenly, and pull it when the IT reaches the target temp. Always turns out perfectly done inside, with a nice sear on the outside.

What a timely thread. I actually just did an accidental experiment which, in my opinion, convinces that reverse sear is superior.

I had a whole picanha which I cut in 4 steaks about 1.5 inch thick each. It was too much for one dinner for my wife and I, so I cooked 2 steaks one night, and the remaining two the next night.

The first night I reverse seared the steaks on my green egg. In fact, it was the first time I ever reverse seared anything.

I cooked at 225 for 40 minutes or so up to 120ish. Took them off, wrapped it in foil, removed the deflector plate, opened all the vents, and waited about 15 minutes.

When I came back, the thing was roaring at 700 degrees. I seared the s#*&t out of them for a minute or two. See pics. I then sliced them. I will just say, it was a choice cut, and it was freaggin amazing.

Then, the next night I cooked the remaining two steaks. However, I was lazy and just forward seared them normally. The results were vastly inferior. Not only it was not as tender, you could just look at it and see it looked different.

I re-heated a left over piece from the night before, and it was still so much better. I gave my wife a slice to compare, and she too agreed. A day old reverse seared picanha steak kicked the freshly forwarded seared's a$$ by a mile.

I don't know why, but that was the result I saw. So, from now on, I'll reverse sear anything that's think enough

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like the 2nd cook was done with a screaming hot temp for the entire duration of the cook? Not a few minutes of intense searing, followed by low temp cooking while the interior comes up to desired internal temp. Is that correct?

I always reverse sear and pull steaks and tri tips off when they hit around 100 degrees internal and leave a probe in so I can watch the carry over temp. Usually rises to 110 - 120 degrees depending on meat thickness, outside temps etc.

I then use the carry over temp to determine if I'm going to start searing for one minute per side or two minutes per side, pulling to the cool side of the grate and checking with my ThermoPop after each flip till I hit 125 -130 degrees internal.

Been doing this for years with perfect results nearly every time and I don't see any reason to change it.

Hard to argue with that photo! That said, I am definitely in sear in the rear camp having done head-to-head comparison. To avoid overcooking, I sear about 3/4 through the cook and then let it finish on cooler side.

Hard to argue with that photo! That said, I am definitely in sear in the rear camp having done head-to-head comparison. To avoid overcooking, I sear about 3/4 through the cook and then let it finish on cooler side.

That’s exactly how I do my reverse sears when I use that method... start early and return to cooler side or cooker to finish. Much safer.

So when I am having filet these in no time to reverse sear, I can barely get color in a normal sear. If the steak is on more than 6 seconds or so it is likely overcooked. :-D

With other cuts I usually do a more traditional sear and cook. I did a tritip this past week and it was sear one side, flip it and then move the CI skillet to the oven to finish for 20 minutes.

I always reverse sear steaks 1 1/2" and over in thickness
Forward sear on thinner steaks

This!

My brother on the other hand is a forward sear all day type of guy. All boils down to what you make work best for you really.

Back