Reverse flow vs direct flow cabinets

Fishwater2002

Full Fledged Farker
I'm considering a cabinet smoker for some extra capacity & a different smoke profile than my Weber Kamado. I'm in New England so of course looking at Humphreys as well as a Chubby but see the LSG IVS which while above my budget looks like a fantastic cooker. What can I expect for a smoke profile from either? Most cabinets are reverse flow so is that the way to go? Educate me please...

Take a look at the BX series of Meadowcreek smokers. IVC, direct flow smokers with a good amount of real estate for larger cooks. They are located in Penn. and the prices are not too bad for a smoker that will out last you.
I have a BX50 and find that it covers every cook I can throw at it.

I have one of each. LSG Mini (direct) and Humphrey's Pint (reverse).

Overall they are pretty similar in smoke profile and the ability to adjust the amount of smokiness which is mostly done by how you assemble the coals and chunks in the firebox.

There are some differences though.

1. Construction. Humphrey's is a tube frame with outer panels riveted in and the LSG is all welded. I prefer the LSG for build quality, but the Humphrey's is designed to allow the outer panels to be removed and "serviced" if needed
The LSG external water pan fill tube is a cool feature if you plan on running with water, but I run dry amd have never used it outside of a bread cooking experiment that did not go well.
My biggest complaint about the Humphrey's construction was the 2 part fire box /ash pan, but Humphrey's solved that issue with a one piece on new cookers.

2. Performance. They are both pretty consistent for temps across the grates and both seem to draw about the same. With my set up the Humphrey's runs all day at 250 without a temp controller. The LSG tends to run a bit hotter 265-275 also without a controller.
I find pork ribs turn out best on the Humphrey's but basically everything else I do on the LSG, especially the big meats. The top down heat of the Humphrey's seems to be the difference on ribs.
The biggest difference is the lack of consistency of smoke across the grates on the Humphrey's. The way I describe it is that the top rack of the Humphrey's is the single best place to cook across the 2 cookers, but the lower racks are impacted by how the racks above impact the air flow vs the LSG where it is very consistent across all 4 racks.

They are both awesome cookers and you will love either. Personally, if I were you, I'd pick the more local manufacturer, especially if it means you can go check them out, order in person, talk with the owners, learn a bit and most importantly save a ton of $ on shipping.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I have the Humphreys weekender, i love it, It will serve you well if u don't have a super large family

I ended up finding a used Long Weekender for a great price locally. I’ve spent some time cleaning & testing it over the last few days, runs rock solid with my Fireboard Drive & fan. Really happy with my purchase & it currently has three pork butts on it for a party later today.

I have a custom direct cabinet and think it cooks pretty well. Even temps etc. Sometimes I flip the meat over if I feel like it. Honestly, I considered a reverse flow but decided it wasn't worth the effort (since I built one). Honestly no I think it's just an overcomplication of a simple way to cook.
254d00e48f4673725f1236a5b0600e80.jpg
54a9ddc6aa2e35fc8c22f00e9dcfdec7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Back