Recipe: Grilled Creamed Corn with Blue Cheese

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Cream-Corn5.jpg

Sometimes I don’t know what comes over me. Creamed Corn? I dislike creamed corn a lot. When I was growing up canned creamed corn was a staple on our dining room table. I absolutely dreaded when it appeared on my plate. So, I can’t even imagine what caused creamed corn to pop into my head while wondering what to do with 7 ears of leftover grilled corn.

I knew I was going to grill a couple of filet mignon the next evening and was thinking about what to serve with them when the thought popped into my head. I normally make a nice blue cheese compound butter to melt over freshly grilled steaks. I use Port Reyes Blue Cheese from Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company when I can. The thought of putting the goodness of the blue cheese with the sweetness of the corn sounded good, but what about the richness from the compound butter? Some butter and heavy cream took care of that one.

The flavor me was spot on. The sweetness of the corn when paired with the blue cheese tasted great when eaten with the beef. For Mrs. Grail there was two much blue cheese so I’ll be trying this again soon. This was nowhere near the canned creamed corn that caused me eating nightmares as a kid.

Grilled Cream Corn with Blue Cheese

Recipe type: Side Dish
Author: The BBQ Grail
Ingredients

• 4 cups Grilled Corn, removed from cob (About 8 medium ears of corn)
  • 1/8 cup Olive Oil
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
Directions

1. Remove the husks and silk from the ears of corn.
  2. Pre-heat your grill to medium hot.
  3. While the grill is pre-heating brush the olive oil all over the ears of corn and season liberally with the salt and pepper.
  4. Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
  5. Grill the oiled and seasoned corn until tender. Turn the corn every five minutes until all sides have grill marks. Should take 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the corn from the grill and set aside to cool.
  6. When corn has cooled, remove the kernels with a sharp knife.
  7. In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
  8. Add the corn and season with salt and pepper if needed. Cook until the corn is completely softened.
  9. Stir in the cornstarch and cook for 1 minute.
  10. Add the cream. Simmer until the mixture thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.
  11. Puree half the mixture in a food processor until smooth.
  12. Add the pureed mixture back into the skillet and add the milk, blue cheese.
  13. Cook over low heat until warmed through.

PRINT RECIPE

Back