REC TEC 700 or alternative?

I'm very happy with the RT-700.

The first is that I would not trust the food temperature probes too much.

The probes can be calibrated to read correctly right in the controller.

I have never had to calibrate them though and they are always within a degree or two of the thermapen.

I have an old 680 (which is basically what became the 700) that’s been a great smoker. As others stated, solid construction and great support. I’d have no hesitation recommending Rectec for anyone.

I had the opportunity to try a MAK that I bought for my son this weekend. It’s a different animal - and at a very different price. For grilling it’s significantly better than the Rectec or likely most of the traditional designs. For smoking, i think I could get the same quality of results but the MAK allows for higher temps and therefore shorter cooks. That said, both are pellet grills so it’s not hard to have long cooks.

Bottom line, I think Rectec still is one of the best bang for the buck options out there - as long as you are primarily planning to use it for smoking or baking.

Get the rec tec and don't look back! I have the Mak and love it but only because I had the extra cash and they are in my back yard here in Oregon. Rec tec was my 2nd pick then the Yoder 3rd. If really interested in Yoder for the thicker steel then maybe consider Blaz'n too.

Unless you are hemorrhaging cash, or the Mak has something you must have, get the rec tec. They all burn pellets and give off the same light smoke when compared to a stick burner.

PID is a concern and from what I can tell, rect tec has a really good one.

Plus, if you are thinking about cooking with whole pieces of wood some time, then most definitely don't over spend on the PG. Why? Cause the smoke off an offset is far better tasting that a pellet, in my honest opinion. My Mak sees way less action then my Klose but for a quick, tasty after work meal, the PG wins hands down.

As for direct grilling on a PG, I have a gasser for that and suits me well. If I want smokey grilled meat, I'll cold smoke it then grill when ready.

Best of luck and have fun making delicious food!

The probes can be calibrated to read correctly right in the controller.

I have never had to calibrate them though and they are always within a degree or two of the thermapen.

My probes have worked flawlessly as well. Ever since I've bought the cooker they have been pretty spot on with my Thermapen too.

We are certainly spoiled for choice these days. I am 100% happy with my RT-590, but I'm sure a Camp Chef, Yoder, MAK, etc. etc. etc. would be fantastic too.

In fact, I cannot think of any pellet smoker (other than the first gen Weber Smokefire) that has universally poor reputation.

They all have great tech, great features, etc. these days, and there are so many quality pellet options out there.

But yes, Rec Tec is good to go. Great cooker, great customer service.

Back