Pron from this past weekends cookoff

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
This past weekend SweetHeatBBQ cooked Friday in an anything with rice cook off and Saturday morning in a bbq chicken cook off. Friday night we cooked Jambalaya. The cook went really well. A couple of people who had spent time in cajun country said they thought it tasted close to authentic. It finished in 8th place. The first scoring we were in 4th place, but the second table mysteriously only gave it 1/2 the points it received on the first table so we finished just out of the money.

The BBQ chicken was a bust!!! I used plowboys dry rub with a sticky sweet sauce and it is an absolutely killer combination. However, it was apparent the judges were looking for eastern carolina vinegar sauce similar to hog sauces. We finished dead last out of 40 cookers! Made me frustrated, but I guess it's up to cooking teams to play to the flavors of the judges. Once more what is crazy is I was told the way they judge the chickens. They tear the skin off the chicken and pull the meat off the bone and dip it into the extra sauce you provide and grade based upon that. Wow! Oh well, a fun weekend cooking. We will make our adjustments and keep on keeping on. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 18955.jpg
    18955.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 20190518_105907.jpg
    20190518_105907.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 249
That's what I hate about any competitions.
It's too easy to rig the judges, or for the judges to be biased.

I'd enjoy that!
Well Done!

When I was doing cookoffs about 9 years ago in south Texas things would swing from one way to another with judges... however every cookoff was a freaking great time!! we were never in it for the money although we got a win or two it was for the fun and the sponsors, oh and the fun of bbq.

I feel the same way as you after some contests, feeling like I hit it out of the park only to find out the judges wanted something else. I would enjoy either of those!! I guess as long as we do it for the fun, we will never be disappointed.

Back