Pricing a used smoker ..

Jersey BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Having a hard time determining a good price for a smoker I may be selling in the near future - How well they hold their value I guess is what I am wondering.
The smoker is a Gator Pit Back Yard Classic "Lone Star Edition". This one is in great shape and has been garage kept - currently new selling in neighborhood of 3K.
As my Meadow Creek is close to being delivered, wondering what this would bring and if it would be worth selling and freeing up that extra real estate in garage for the MC.
Thanks for any thoughts !

Take a look at our General For Sale section for similar smokers. That should give you a ball park at least.

As with anything else, demand determines what the market will bear. I have Yoder for sale. It's relatively new and in good shape with no rust. I figure that, with no moving parts to speak of that wear out, they should hold their value fairly well. Another facet to the cost of these is conveyance. I priced mine so that the buyer is getting the cooker without having to pay that significant portion were he to buy one new and also included some accessories in the price. Response: underwhelming. It's a pretty specialized (and expensive) bit of equipment that very few are interested in or even recognize where I'm located. It'll take the right buyer and may still be tough to unload at anywhere near where I have priced now. Probably no help but these are the thoughts that went into trying to sell mine.

Having a hard time determining a good price for a smoker ...
There's no "Blue Book" for things like this. Activity is so minimal it becomes a matter of deciding whether to patiently hold a high price or offer a low price to move the item

"High" and "Low" will depend on the market. Economists would call it an inefficient market. I used to have a company that bought and sold used capital equipment in a national market like that.

A market without a lot of BBQ activity (like MN) will have buyers used to Weber prices and unwilling to pay a lot more. It will also have a few knowledgeable buyers who might pay a high price because locally-available used cookers are few and far between and ones far away cost a lot to ship.

Offering on a national market like the one here is a bit problematical because of the freight costs. When I look here, I just flip by cookers in Florida, Texas, Left Coast, etc. because I have no clue what freight might be and most sellers don't seem to want to ship anyway.

And ... just to make things worse, the market is seasonal in the northern half of the country. I recently saw a good local deal on a PG500 and probably will kick myself for not buying, but I just could not get enthusiastic about dragging it through the snow to get it around to the back deck, then having to look at my Camp Chef DLX until it makes economic sense to sell it/April or May.

IMO probably your best bet in the winter is to list it here at a price that's a little bit aggressive, offer to ship, and offer to pay 1/2 the shipping cost. Or something like that. If it's like most of these sites, you won't want for lowball offers.

If you still own it when the birdies start to chirp, I'd put it on CraigsList locally at a bit of an aggressive price and see what happens. Again, you probably won't want for lowball offers.

After all that, you'll probably have an answer to your question.

Back