THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry, I don't know what that is but l still don't think that's it's oak or hickory. Doesn't look like any I've split.

Sorry, I don't know what that is but l still don't think that's it's oak or hickory. Doesn't look like any I've split.

Looks like pine to me. The real test would be pecan which is really dense and twisted grain wood.. Pecan slows down the hydraulic splitters. I'm thinking the motor wouldn't last very long. But could be wrong.

Looks like pine to me. The real test would be pecan which is really dense and twisted grain wood.. Pecan slows down the hydraulic splitters. I'm thinking the motor wouldn't last very long. But could be wrong.

I agree with you, Robert. None of the wood I have seen that splitter "work" does not look like any hardwood I would want in my smoker. Pecan wood would be a better demo to convince me. Pecan can be difficult to split. I could easily split the demo logs they use with a splitting maul.

With that being said.... I will never use a splitting wedge on pecan again! NEVER!! The last time I used a wedge on pecan, I gave my best roundhouse swing, squarely hit the wedge dead center that was lodged in the pecan log. In an instant, I am grabbing my teeth as that wedge popped out of the log and hit me square in my mouth, teeth and nose! My teeth were intact, but they were rearranged. Four years of orthodontics wiped out. My nose was broken, bleeding and in need of stitches. I had taken a few blows to the face in one of my careers as a bar bouncer, but this hit hurt worse than any Barney Bad Ass had ever delivered.

The doctor that sewed me up said he was surprised the wedge did not knock me out and I probably had a concussion. That was ten years ago and my sense of smell and taste are still in recovery. I don't own a splitting wedge any more.

I would want one that can go vertical. Look what a PIA it is to pick up the logs every time. You could maybe mod it to put a tray alongside the rail to hold up the wood. That said, I am a firm believer if you are going to be dealing with a lot of wood, go big. Big chainsaw, big splitter. It will start saving you gobs of time from the get-go.
Buy once, cry once.

Rick - the other thing is - look how fast the ram is going. It can't possibly have as much torque as you may want - if the thing were slower and more methodical you can imagine it would be geared for more torque. And the info says it will only split up to 12" logs. It also seems a cradle comes with it but the guy in the video did not put it on, which is why all the wood is falling all over the place. If that thing is about $500, I would spring a couple or 3 hundred more for a used vertical gas powered one on FB marketplace, but that's just me.

Rick - the other thing is - look how fast the ram is going. It can't possibly have as much torque as you may want - if the thing were slower and more methodical you can imagine it would be geared for more torque. And the info says it will only split up to 12" logs. It also seems a cradle comes with it but the guy in the video did not put it on, which is why all the wood is falling all over the place. If that thing is about $500, I would spring a couple or 3 hundred more for a used vertical gas powered one on FB marketplace, but that's just me.

I actually have an electric log splitter similar to this one https://www.lowes.com/pd/Earthquake-32228-Earthquake-W500-Electric-Log-Splitter/1001873886 and it works great for what I need it for. I only got it to split wood for smoking not heating my house as I live in Florida. I just came across the kinetic one and was curious about it.

Rick, I mean you no disrespect for what I am about to say.

From that video I watched, the logs they are splitting for demonstration are logs I can easily split with an eight pound splitting maul. If I were to buy a wood splitter, I would buy it for splitting logs that I could not split easily with a splitting maul. The video does not show me that the machine can split hardwoods that can be difficult to split. While that splitter maybe fine for some folks, it does not appear to me that it would suit my needs.

Rick, I mean you no disrespect for what I am about to say.

From that video I watched, the logs they are splitting for demonstration are logs I can easily split with an eight pound splitting maul. If I were to buy a wood splitter, I would buy it for splitting logs that I could not split easily with a splitting maul. The video does not show me that the machine can split hardwoods that can be difficult to split. While that splitter maybe fine for some folks, it does not appear to me that it would suit my needs.

Thanks, but like I said in post #13 I already have a log splitter I was just curious about a kinetic one.

Back