THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sfine118

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Scott
So my wife isn’t a fan of pork, besides bacon. She’s hasn’t liked pork since she was a kid. So I have no idea if it’s an honest dislike or if it’s just in her head. I’m wanting to buy a half of a pig for bbq reasons and to have more meat in the freezer. Quick back story I’ve fixed pork steaks in the past and she’s liked them a few of the times. Anyway she has agreed to give it another shot. I was thinking maybe pork chops? If so do any of you have any recipes I should try? Or another common pork cut I should try? Thanks!

Before pulling the trigger on a half-hog, take a look at a CUT SHEET so you have an idea of what cuts you are actually getting, verses what you like to eat. For example if you want loin roast(s) you can't have pork chops because the loin is the larger muscle in a pork chop. And if you request pork steaks, or country ribs.... you can't have a butt because that's where they are cut from.

As far as re-introducing your wife to pork, I think any of the 'high-on-the-hog' cuts are a good choice. So tenderloin, loin, center cut pork chops (which contain both muscles), or rib chops would be a good choice. For a specific recipe or sides, you need to tailor that to her choices... but I would try to keep the meat as moist as possible (maybe a light brine) and don't overcook it. If you want to slightly distract her you could opt for taking a tenderloin or loin, slicing it into medallions and breading it.

Just make her a proper medium rare pork chop with good seasoning and a dipping sauce. See how she likes that. I've met a few people whose mom used to hammer pork so bad that it was like eating sawdust so they don't like it now. Try cooking it to 140 and resting.

I make this pretty often with pork tenderloin. Might be worth a shot.

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
clove of garlic pressed
3 tbsp. Dijon
pepper to taste

marinate the pork in that mix for a day or two and roast or grill. easy to make and has a good flavor.

My favorite steak is a well-cooked, thick-cut pork chop either marinaded or brined, then smoked/grilled. I think that pork chops are about as clean tasting as far as pork that you can get. My wife likes pork the least between beef and chicken, but she has grown to like it more now than she did when we were first married. One of the popular things around my house is Jerk chicken and jerk pork. Marinade the food and then bbq it for some great eating pork. You can use a high rated recipe off the web, or get some recommendations from the Brethren search. If heat is not too big of a deal, Oakridge Jah Love is a good one to use also.

I'm fortunate, I've tuned my sweetie into a "pork whore" she's relentless on anything porky on the grill/smoker. Always opening the lid to try and grab chunks of whatever.
All in all it just makes me smile.
Ed

I'm fortunate, I've tuned my sweetie into a "pork whore" she's relentless on anything porky on the grill/smoker. Always opening the lid to try and grab chunks of whatever.
All in all it just makes me smile.
Ed

Careful Ed. We refer to them as ‘pork aficionados’ or ‘swine samplers’. My wife is also fond of being a ‘bovine browser’ or frequently called a ‘beef babe’.

It's tough to beat a bone in center cut pork chop! Not cooked to death and the added flavor from that bone, yes sir! Also, saw some good ideas on loins and tenderloins might could stuff it with something she likes and it help even more?

I would do a pork tenderloin. It’s pretty mild and you can easily stuff it with smoked Gouda and spinach or whatever she likes. Also, you can slice it thin so she doesn’t have thick pieces in her mouth to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back