THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michigan BBQ Fan

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Scott
I'm on the hunt to try different "brands" of pork ribs (spare) to up my backyard game and also to try and do a bit better at amateur rib cookoffs.

My "go to" ribs are usually Meijer as they are close and the pricing always seems to be reasonable. For competitions I'm picky about the ones I choose but I've just not been happy about how they are coming out. I also have a lot of Kroger stores near me, but I always feel like their ribs look to be a step down in quality.

I've tried Walmart (Smithfield Extra Tender) a few times but I never feel like the fat renders out as well as others. Maybe I just need to cook them a bit longer :eek:hwell:

I have tried both Sam's Club and Costco with mixed results. And, this summer I'm finding Smithfield there instead of a non-branded rib.

I have the option of going to local custom butchers...and...I might just to see if there is a major difference in flavor. I for sure know there will be a major difference in price.

What about "Indiana Kitchen"? I had that suggested to me recently and I usually see them at GFS.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Sure, I know I could order from Compart etc. And, I might go that route....but...looking for other ideas/tips.

TY.

Happy Smokin'

I've had good luck with Excel and IBP spares as far as commodity is concerned, usually those two are what Costco, Sam's, and Restaurant Depot are carrying lately. Last year Sam's had Prairie Fresh for a while, which I really liked...before that Smithfield Prime/Reserve or something like that.

I can get Berkshire St Louis spares for $4/lb from a local butcher, which is a pretty good price IMO considering if you trim commodity full spares @ $2/lb down to St Louis cut, you're probably at $3/lb or more for the trimmed slab. There is a much more noticeable difference going commodity to heritage than there is bouncing around between different flavors of commodity.

Last edited:
I stick with Sam's Club.
They used to sell Smithfield here, but seems they carry house branded, or unbranded, now at mine.
I can still get my signature Grandpa's Ribs the Family and Friends love with Sam's ribs.

I do Baby Back Ribs. The wife got a package of Spare Ribs by mistake once.
I did them my usual way, but the consensus was we like the Baby Backs better.

I'm a strong believer in consistency. So if you find a source you are happy with, stay with it.
There are plenty of variables as it is to BBQing. But pogoing around meat sources can bring grief and frustrations to you efforts.

If I had to name drop, I think Smithfield would be my first choice. Then find your consistency and stick with that.

Successful restaurants are successful due to a high quality source. Not by experimenting.
So find a source you like, then settle in and compete with consistency.
And consistency isn't something you will ever find in Judges. :wink:

Back