Picked up my first pellet grill/smoker - Traeger Pro 34

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I just picked up a Traeger Pro 34 last weekend - it was kind of a last minute/impulse thing as I'd been wanting some sort of pellet smoker for a while and happened to see a pretty good sale while at a local store to buy something unrelated.

A couple observations so far...it does hold the temp pretty steady (I use a wireless remote thermometer to fact check what the unit displays), though when set at the "225" setting it's usually more like 210-215 degrees at the grate on the probe end. I noticed that the exterior of the meat seems to dry out a little more than what I'm used to with my charcoal fueled smokers (ceramic kamado and a couple WSM's). I assume this is due to the convection/airflow that is present in the unit. I did a Boston butt and a rack of baby backs for the maiden voyage and didn't wrap either - might try doing that at 165* or so next time. I'm using CookinPellets Perfect Mix.

The product it produced was pretty tasty, but I'm going to have to do a few more things before I can pass judgement on whether or not I like it. I'm in the process of fabricating a reverse flow stick burner so I'll have a most of the smoker style bases covered at that point. I suspect the stick burner will be my favorite in terms of flavor, when I have the time to babysit it all day.

I know I could've gotten other pellet grills that are a little thicker or higher quality, but impulses are impulses and I didn't want to pay/wait for shipping.

Anybody else using the Pro series from Traeger?

Last edited:
I have a young child, so I got a pellet smoker for convenience. It does a pretty good job and I don't have to babysit it. I have a different brand but noticed the same thing with the temp being lower at the grate level. I really like the pellet for ribs, tons of room compared to my egg!

Thanks for the review, keep us updated.

I have another brand Pellet Smoker, and you are using a great choice of cooking pellets to start off with. As you've already probably noticed it is a lighter smoke profile than your probably used to. If you need more smoke you can use an "Amazin Tube" inside for extra smoke. If you think of the pellet smoker as..."a convection oven that produces a light smoke profile" then you'll never be disappointed! Congrats on the purchase!
Oh...and don't be afraid to mix your own pellet combos..A 60%-40% mix of cherry/pecan goes great with ribs and pork butt.

Yep, I use the Amazin Tube on it. I already had one because I use that when I run my gas grill.

It is indeed lighter smoke profile - the past few times I've used charcoal and the WSM's (briquettes are worse, but still some with lump) I can taste it on the meat. Could be all in my head, but there's a light hint of what I imagine smoldering charcoal would taste like that I can't shake.

I was running low on the CookinPellets so I picked up some Lumberjack MHC while I was at the store, which still seem to have pretty good reviews, though maybe not quite as highly as the CookinPellets. They were however half the price of CookinPellets which I order through Amazon.

I'm really impressed with the consistency of temps on this thing. I know that people have complained about Traegers having "wild temperature swings" on some of the other models, but at least with the Pro, it's rock solid. If I put it at 225* I'm reading solidly 210-215* at the grate. Ran it for a few hours that way and dialed it up to 250*, and it held between 248 and 253* really well. I use an iGrill2 which charts the temp on my phone and it's a very flat line. The only dips in the line are when I open the door and it recovers quickly and does not overshoot.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new cooker. I have a treager, different model, and love it! I like the lighter smoke on most thing it get off it compared to my drum and kettle. It holds temp well and recovers fast plus it's super convenient. As far as pellets go I have tried a lot of different brands and do not find much difference between brands, only had an issue one time but I'm pretty sure it was from slightly damp pellets. I just buy what ever is cheapest near where I'm at.

Finally got a result more in line with the flavor I was after....smoke, but a mild hint. I put a Smithfield Prime Boston butt on last night, and this time I left it at the "smoke" setting for about 2.5 hours until it hit about 145* internal. Cranked it to 225*, wrapped it at 170*, then pulled off at 200*. Came out great. I scarfed down the money muscle before remembering to take pics of it, but I was able to get some nice tubes out of it as well.

I used Lumberjack MHC blend this time. Can't say that I can really detect any flavor difference other than what I attribute to letting it ride on the "smoke" setting for a few hours.

Back