Peoples Choice

akoda

is one Smokin' Farker
I am signing up to do a contest soon and they have a peoples choice bracket. I have never done one before because it was never an option due to space. Now I have a big SF and am pondering PC. They require 20#'s of uncooked butt. My questions are do I just turn this in in a foilded pan? Can i add left over competition butt to it if I want? What drawbacks are there for entering?

Thanks

If the contest is Lenexa Peoples choice turn in is at 3 so I plan on just cooking one extra butt and pulling with all the leftover comp pork and turning it in. I normally cook 3 butts anyway. My wife pulls all the pork after pork turn in anyway so it wont be any more work than we normally do.

You would have to ask the organizer about how to turn it in. People's Choice isn't a sanctioned category so it varies at every competition.

We only do people's choice if it is blind judging. I've seen too many PC with on site judging turn into a competition to see who can recruit the most friends and family to vote.

The only drawback I can see is your time and cooker space. If the turn in time for the PC interferes with your comp schedule, don't do it. But if you have the space (and it sounds like you do) and the timing is good, do it. You never know what will happen :-D We've won a couple and taken second place in a couple.

It is, and you're going down ;)

If the contest is Lenexa Peoples choice turn in is at 3 so I plan on just cooking one extra butt and pulling with all the leftover comp pork and turning it in. I normally cook 3 butts anyway. My wife pulls all the pork after pork turn in anyway so it wont be any more work than we normally do.

Thanks, plenty of space, plenty of time, I figure why not. I think it helps the folks that come enjoy the experience.

You would have to ask the organizer about how to turn it in. People's Choice isn't a sanctioned category so it varies at every competition.

We only do people's choice if it is blind judging. I've seen too many PC with on site judging turn into a competition to see who can recruit the most friends and family to vote.

The only drawback I can see is your time and cooker space. If the turn in time for the PC interferes with your comp schedule, don't do it. But if you have the space (and it sounds like you do) and the timing is good, do it. You never know what will happen :-D We've won a couple and taken second place in a couple.

Do I have to have a three station hand wash or is that provided by the comp?

if you have to provide your own meat for it(especially 20lbs) you wouldn't see me doing it. usually PC has local favoritism and is a popularity contest versus who's stuff is actually good. Not worth it in my opinion. I will do PC at a couple events that do blind judge in the peoples choice and another pays us for each sample we give out.

I always do PC if it's just a butt turn in. It helps the organizer and it's not any extra work.

Sometimes you need to serve during comp turn in times and you can cook whatever you want. I only do that if I have a person dedicated to just PC. It's a lot of fun IMO but it's a lot of work and a huge distraction.

Yep, I get that it can be a popularity contest, I am not a popular guy ;) 3o bucks or so for pork nets me 25 less in entry fees, a little more work but I can do two butts standing on my head now. For me it's a chance to win a few bucks back, but I am not counting on it. I am doing it hoping the folks that come to support these events has a better experience. Many come to comps and are surprised they don't get to sample any, I think this is a good thing.

Just my $0.02

if you have to provide your own meat for it(especially 20lbs) you wouldn't see me doing it. usually PC has local favoritism and is a popularity contest versus who's stuff is actually good. Not worth it in my opinion. I will do PC at a couple events that do blind judge in the peoples choice and another pays us for each sample we give out.

This one is a blind judging. You turn in your pulled pork in foil pans at 3:00 and yes you will have to have your 3 bay sink/basins

I think it's a great thing to do people's choice if it doesn't take away from your focus on the main 4 meats. I think we as competitors can do a better job promoting events and what we love to do with the attending public. It's a win win for all involved. Plus, you can't win if you don't play!

I used to have to the idea that I would only do PC if it was blind judging as well, because it's a serious popularity contest otherwise. Someone on this board brought up the point that PC is almost the only way that the general public actually gets to participate in a KCBS contest, and it's also one of the only ways to generate revenue for the contest. Since then I've relaxed my stance a little, and will participate as long as the requirements aren't too strict, and they provide the meat. Our Deep South smoker will hold a couple of extra butts without any issues.

Back