Pellet Smoker Controllers

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
So the display on the controller of me FEC is practically dead. Water got to it a while back and now it's basically unreadable, so currently I need to do everything from memory, since I can't read anything on the display. I bought a replacement LCD, but all the old TV/Electronics repair guys seem to be all retiring and I can't find anyone to swap it out and I suck at sottering. A new IQ5 Controller from Cookshack was around $1800 last time I looked.

So I've been looking around at other PID controllers as a more cost effective replacement. So the question for the pelletheads, out there, how do you like the performance of your controller? How low can it go? The IQ4 Cookshack controller had no problem running at 160 for extra smoke.

Looking at the following controllers:

Grilla Grills Alpha Connect (Not available for purchase yet) Year end they say.
Camp Chef Gen 2
Pellet Pro Patriot

Currently leaning towards the Grilla controller. Any others I should look at? Rec Tec doesn't sell their controller. Does MAK sell their controller separately?

Have you looked at Smoke Daddy Inc? They have been making replacement controllers for years. Savannah Stoker was another I believe. How much soldering is there? The biggest trick is the right iron with the right tips for circuit boards and thin wire.

Yep, that would be the one, surprised Cookshack actually lowered the price on something. They usually jack up the price of standard off the shelf parts. The original FEC100's came with Traeger controllers, before Cookshack came out with their IQ-4 & IQ-5 controllers. I've heard of a few people that have done the conversion.

I may have to do some minor wiring changes, for example the FEC has a hopper cover switch that shuts off the auger if you open the hopper, may have to replace the temp probe, I think the FEC probe is a K type, most of the others are RTD probes. But it should work with the standard PID controllers.

I know it’s not on your list, but two years ago I replaced my controller with a Savannah Stoker and have been very happy with it. Comes in under $200, well worth it.

I also replaced my Pellet Pro 1190 controller with the Savannah Stoker. It was well worth it. Might want to checkout their Facebook group for information on using it on your smoker. There really is nothing wrong with the Pellet Pro controller but the SS just gives you more options and control on the cook.

Back