Outdoor Stir Fry on Cheap Propane Burner

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Veggies: Carrot, bell pepper, yellow onion, Cabbage, Garlic, Ginger

Meat: Sliced pork tenderloin marinaded in the sauce; sauce is soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger and garlic.

Oil: olive oil & crushed red peppers -- I'll probably add the crushed red pepper later in the cook next time.. tried something new. Also that's too much oil there in that little bowl.. didn't use it all.. I normally pour it in from the bottle but wanted to make things easier for the video. I normally use a higher temp oil but all I had on hand at the moment was the olive oil.

uc

Here is a video of the cook -- unedited. That was kind of a large load of veggies but this high BTU burner seemed to keep up okay.. the ended up being fried and not braised. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and vibrant as well.

I'll also have the meat pulled out of the marinade and in separate bowl next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swUlwN-UFXQ

I'll post another image in a bit showing it plated up.

Isn't a fun BBQ type thing to do? Hi BTU burner, outdoors, flames flying everywhere, charred / caramelized veggies? :)

I need to learn how to get it to flame more.. only did it twice at the start.. tried to do it a couple times more but it didn't ignite. I'll go watch some more wok videos.. I think they call that "breath of the dragon" or something :) Looks fantastic though.. Adds some flavor as well.

For those who need a wok, carbon steel is the only acceptable one for outdoor cooking like this. Online prices are quite high. I can get a really nice 14" carbon steel wok with steel handle for $23 at local Aisian market; I checked the other day.. They had an entire aisle of so many different woks. I am using a 12" in this video. A 12" to 14" would work well. Lightweight is better how feel about it.. so you arm doesn't hurt doing all that flipping.

For those who need a wok, carbon steel is the only acceptable one for outdoor cooking like this. Online prices are quite high. I can get a really nice 14" carbon steel wok with steel handle for $23 at local Aisian market; I checked the other day.. They had an entire aisle of so many different woks. I am using a 12" in this video. A 12" to 14" would work well. Lightweight is better how feel about it.. so you arm doesn't hurt doing all that flipping.

How big do they make them?

How big do they make them?

Oh I imagine very large if you wanted but would require monster arms and several hundred K of BTU? :) 14" is quite large though. You are talking about the wok or the burner? I wouldn't go beyond 14" to be honest, because you want to be able to flip stuff with one hand and well a strong guy could just about comfortably handle a 14" wok loaded with food I think.

Oh I imagine very large if you wanted but would require monster arms and several hundred K of BTU? :) 14" is quite large though. You are talking about the wok or the burner? I wouldn't go beyond 14" to be honest, because you want to be able to flip stuff with one hand and well a strong guy could just about comfortably handle a 14" wok loaded with food I think.

I'll have to go check our local Asian markets to see what they have.

Looks great and yes, carbon steel for the wok. Must be thin material so it can heat up and cool down quickly as needed.

I'd eat that! Ya done good! :clap2:

Nicely done on that stir fry! I’m in Oklahoma too, and am an avid wok cook…where are you that you’re near an Asian market? I assume near either Tulsa or OKC? That’s a great price for a 14” CS wok! I have no idea where the nearest Asian market is to me…have to usually buy my wok supplies online.

Red

Nicely done. That looks really good

Thanks it tastes really good. has that grilled veggie taste.. caramelized / mallaird reaction & a bit of charring and exposure to flame here and there. Superb. Destroys indoor home stir fry :) Tastes like stir fry from a fancy Asian restaurant with high BTU woks or those huge Mongolian circular flat top griddles.

EDIT: I guess you can get a decent stir fry indoors with a cast iron dutch oven say, heated up for a long while beore throwing a small load into it. I used to do that when I did stir fry indoors.. but you have to have a good vent to vent all that smoke to outside the home.

Back