THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
I was planning on the Mexican pulled pork recipe this weekend. Ordered the rub from Meat Church and it arrived today. Holy cow it is incredibly salty! All I taste is salt and pepper. Will it mellow during the cook and will the other spices come out of hiding? Wondering if 2 Gringos Chupacabra would be a better choice (sure, it’s salty too but I can detect plenty of other spices behind the salt). Would love to hear your experiences.

Holy cow is a Texas style rub. Very pepper and salt forward. I use it 2/3 to 1/3 holy gospel on brisket.

Agreed and I have those as well. But the fajita rub is incredibly salty. I was hoping for something more Mexican inspired.

Agreed and I have those as well. But the fajita rub is incredibly salty. I was hoping for something more Mexican inspired.

I use those and yes, the fajita rub is on the salty side, although it does mellow during the cook and is very good. Malcom Reed grande gringo is a good Mexican rub that isn’t as salty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry I saw the title but the text made me think you were talking about holy cow. I agree on the fajita as well but it does cook out some. I prefer Fiesta fajita with the green dot and zesty Italian dressing and let marinade. Then a dusting of Tony Cachere prior to grilling

Very low sodium and very good for Mexican pulled pork.

04bc7ad4435e9060fe8d5bba51b66436.jpg

Use promo code THANKS15 at checkout for 15% off your purchase.

https://www.naturiffic.com/gourmet/new-mexico-spice-blend

Please post your results!

I’ve used meat church fajita and like it, but I don’t put it on too heavy. Also, I don’t really like the taste of any bbq rub on its own.

I like Hardcore Carnivore Tex Mex a lot. Also Fiesta and Badia.

Meat church rubs are insanely salty. I tried the 'one of everything' kit a while back, and most of them are 'about' the same. The Voodoo is super salt with a bit of cajun. Fajita is super salt with a bit of mexican.

There are definitely some good 'carintas style' recipes here on the board, and you don't even have to get caught up on worrying about which rub you have. This is one I've used several times and have bookmarked. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3949918&postcount=1

I add salt before I use Grande Gringo.

I use those and yes, the fajita rub is on the salty side, although it does mellow during the cook and is very good. Malcom Reed grande gringo is a good Mexican rub that isn’t as salty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was planning on the Mexican pulled pork recipe this weekend. Ordered the rub from Meat Church and it arrived today. Holy cow it is incredibly salty! All I taste is salt and pepper. Will it mellow during the cook and will the other spices come out of hiding? Wondering if 2 Gringos Chupacabra would be a better choice (sure, it’s salty too but I can detect plenty of other spices behind the salt). Would love to hear your experiences.

I did the Mexican pulled pork once as well. The Dia De La Fajita is way too salty for us. I tossed the entire bottle

Salt is necessary but also a cheap filler.
Like rice in burritos.
Although it isn't necessary and actually undesirable in a burrito IMO.

Back