On a Roll TD Entry - Cubano on Homemade Cuban Bread

Thanks very much for all the kind comments.

To those who might be intimidated by bread making, I say give it a try. You'll be amazed at what you turn out. This recipe is from Cook's Country and their website now requires a trial or paid subscription. For those who prefer it, look for their series on YouTube. I found it easy to follow. This is one of the easier bread recipes I've made.

Part of it says to make an overnight sponge with flour, water and yeast. I normally would do so, but for these loaves I let the sponge sit on the counter for about 45 minutes. No reason to let it sit overnight.

As an added bonus, some additional pics from lunch today! I probably should have made loaded up sammies like this yesterday. :biggrin1:

6yMyROM.jpg

qbVTkxh.jpg

ncymepG.jpg

I think Cubanos are normally pressed, but once the sandwich is made there's no way I'm waiting any longer to run out to the Blackstone and press it flatter. I'm just digging in. :grin:

-Dom

The only thing I see that's not authentic is the tomatoes. Glad to see you had salami on there.

The Tampa Bay Cuban community has an on going feud with the Miami community about whether or not salami is traditional. Tampa has it, Miami doesn't.

Most places also mix mayo and mustard together to come up with what you spread on the bread.

Don't worry, I add onions to my Cubans (not authentic). Tastes better. I also press them before serving (optional).

Yeah, cubanos are normally pressed, however I hate it when someone makes
a good sandwich, then squashes it so thin it eats like a potato chip.
What a waste.
BTW... I like a little press on my po-boys too.

Yours looks fantastic!

Last edited:
Yep, tomatoes would be a no-no whether it's a Tampa or Miami variant. Of which I've had neither. I've seen the mayo/ mustard mixture in many recipes too.

Still loads of fun to make and more fun to eat. I love attempting these regional dishes.

Back