OKJ Highland Temperature Issues

93_confirmed

Take a breath!
So I've had my Highland (newer China model) for a few years and am running it with a baffle plate, the firebox grate raised up a few inches with bolts and a firebox bin to hold the coals. No other mods.

The problem I'm having difficulty dialing in the temp. I generally run it with the smoke stack wide open and the door closed or slightly open with the door vent fully open. I start with a full chimney of lit briqs and cook exclusively with splits from there on.

Yesterday, I was struggling to get it above 235F for most of the cook but at other times I would get up around 300F briefly before it came down. I'm either doing something wrong, which is likely or there's something funky going on with the unit. No water pan by the way because I was running all wings on this cook.

How exactly and how often should I be feeding it once the initial coals and splits are raging? What adjustments should I be making to the firebox door/vents to adjust the temp?

Thanks.

If your wood is too Dry it burns to ash and does not maintain a Good coal bed. If you lose coal base - add a burning chimney of charcoal mid cook. You should probably be using splits 10-14” long, coke can to double come can in diameter, adding 1 or 2 every 30-45 minutes.
Temps should swing 50-60*. Say you want 275*, add split(s) it climbs to 300* then slowly drops to 250*, add split(s) it climbs to 300* and slowly falls to 250*, repeat, repeat........

As far as door open vs closed it just depends on how the wood is burning....... if it’s kind of smoldering you won’t get the temps you want -open the door and get it where it maintains a flame.........

Back