THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I sent him a link to the UDS thread and wished him luck...:twisted:

***update***

The guy actually e-mailed me back...here is his response...me thinks a future Brethren may be in the makin's here...:cool:

After checking your links, I take that as a HUGE compliment! I built 4 of them over a couple snow days we had last year. I have no hobbies, I have OCD! I got most of my ideas from smoking meat forums. I don't even think I qualify as an amateur yet, but my family all loves my Q! My wife got me a traeger two years ago for Christmas, but I use the drum more!
Your drums are much better looking then mine, so I don't think you have to worry about me as competition! What do they sell for? I have no plans on building more, but would like to get rid of the two extras I have.

Last edited:
Hope he joins up. Very nice looking drums. The flat black adds to the Ugliness of the UDS, in a good way. New grates, therm and ball valves, plus the coal basket looks sharp.
I can identify with the OCD!! LMAO! He's Brethren material for sure.

Bob

I've sold a couple for $250 each. Considering the time and work put into them, including burning out in an industrial furnace, sandblasting inside and out, welding nipples on and all the ss hardware, 2 Weber grates (not the cheap arse ones), a heavy duty basket that will last forever, painting them up nice, new Weber lids and providing hands on training, an operators manual, a 24 hour help line and several of my recipes...$250 for a smoker that is easy to operate and going to last you a long time is well worth it to some...

Even if I stayed at it, it would take me all day to build one, especially out of SS. Mine are pretty nice, with U-bolts for the grates, and a fire basket that can be used in the upper position for a grill. Today I'm going to be fabbing some spring handles for the lids, and making adjustable intake covers. It LOOKS like you should be able to knock one out in a couple hours, but it doesn't work out that way. Since I'm a tool maker by trade, it's not like I'm fumbling around here, either. With some time invested in fixturing, I could cut the time down considerably, if I were in the business. I seem to have found a source for SS drums here in FL; there's a guy who has them on craigs from time to time, and he cut me a deal on buying 3 of them. Right now, all of them are spoken for, but it did cross my mind to build a couple to sell to off-set the $$$ I have in my existing ones. I'm using 1/3 of a drum for a lid, so I have 1-1/2 drums, plus all the SS hardware, which adds up to about $150 before I even start cutting.

I've sold a couple for $250 each. Considering the time and work put into them, including burning out in an industrial furnace, sandblasting inside and out, welding nipples on and all the ss hardware, 2 Weber grates (not the cheap arse ones), a heavy duty basket that will last forever, painting them up nice, new Weber lids and providing hands on training, an operators manual, a 24 hour help line and several of my recipes...$250 for a smoker that is easy to operate and going to last you a long time is well worth it to some...

Sounds a little like a WSM.

If I was buying one, I wounldn't have a problem paying for quality. ALso comes down to what your time and effort are worth to you and what you think you should get for those two components. 300 for a decent quality, well built drum isn't out of the ? if you ask me. Pretty fair once you factor in labor, etc.

Cool thread this has turned into!

Bob

I sold two at Christmas time for $200 each.
Ehh, think it through:
A good drum-good welds-ball valves, good basket with the catch pan mod, well done lid, etc etc. Nothing done hafways (like mine!), but nothing mega over the top (S. steel, etc) including the time to do it.

Thats worth 250 all day long I think.
Not to a lot of folks like us, but its worth it I believe. Doncha think?

If you're gonna spend $300 for a drum, why not go ahead and drop $399 for a 22" WSM and get a 10 year warranty, toll free support, plus guaranteed availability of parts?

Plus, if you buy a drum from someone, who knows how well it will work, if it does.

Think I would pass.

Chuck

$250 ... a good one is worth it all day long. Parts, labor, time, skill.

People need to make money, folks. Earn a living and all that.

Back