Offset Rental

Nostradumbass

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Mark
Mornin' all,

Me and some fellas are renting an AirB&B in Venise-en-Quebec. The Google says about an hour away from Vermont where we'd be flying to. I attempted to look up some rental offsets, but either 1) I'm super bad at the Google or B) or there aren't any inside 4 hours away (which seemed the closest). Any local folks near either location aware of any rental joints for offsets? I'd be putting 2 briskets at MOST on there. I offer that as a means to gauge preferred size of pit. Any help is welcomed. Preciate you all!

Never heard of an offset rental...or maybe I just never looked?

I guess it's possible for a trailer mounted cooker as long as you can tow it. Or maybe the guy that rents it tows it to your party?

Or maybe the guy that rents it and can tow it to the party also wants to cook his meat for you on his cooker? Ha! $$$

Seriously....good luck. Maybe they do rent them out and someone knows somebody in your party area. :-D

I see rentals on craigslist, never investigated. Maybe a brethren nearby can save the day, or just msu.

Rental? Offset? Get out! That's a thing?

On second thought- all sort of stuff can be rented. I would guess a rental/ loaner pit would be easier to come by in Texas... but you are not there.

Good luck on making the hook up. Worst comes to worst, buy 2 cheap kettles and go to town... if it really goes to hell, you can use an oven- I've done that... it was 13 years ago before I knew better but it will cook your meat. (I'd go kettles, charcoal and chunks were me)

Not sure if this helps but I work on a naval base and I've seen offset smokers at MWR. That's Moral Welware and Recreation for those of you who have not served. Anyway I was thinking if you are a retired vet you maybe able to rent one from a military base in that area.

Never heard of renting a smoker but, I guess you can rent just about anything these days.

Other ideas;

1) Smoke them at home, freeze them, bring them with you (frozen) and heat them up in the oven. Wrapped well, they should travel for a few hours just fine.

2) Find a BBQ place near the rental and BUY smoked briskets. $$$ but easy.

3) Cook them in the rental oven (use a good rub and BBQ sauce and it'll be passable).

4) Assuming the rental has a grill, just cook steaks or burgers or something that doesn't require a smoker.

Have fun!

1) Smoke them at home, freeze them, bring them with you (frozen) and heat them up in the oven. Wrapped well, they should travel for a few hours just fine.

Have fun!

Building on that idea - vac seal, freeze and bring the sous vide stick. Easy add on into your luggage. If you don't have one - think of it as a bonus. You would throw away the money on a rental, this way you end up with the sous vide stick to use over and over again.

Back