THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jd-santaclarita

Got Wood.
Hi all - I'm hoping to get some advice here. I'm building up an off-road trailer for camping in the back woods and mountains and the thing thats missing is a nice bbq pit. I'll prob have a small gas grill along for quick overland type cooks on the go, but I do a fair bit of base camping for multiple days at a time and the thought of spending the day in the sierra pines smoking up a brisket or some butts is heavenly.

I have a beautiful azbbqgrills stainless scottsdale cooker and a big UDS at home, but either of those are easy enough to transport. I'm on the hunt for a nice bbq pit that I could hitch mount to a trailer or possibly put on a cargo rack. I'm also considering trying to build something as I'm trying to brush up on my welding skills and I'm taking my 16yo boy to a welding class this weekend. It would be a home run if I could build or buy a really efficient small cabinet type pit as that is missing in my arsenal right now. I really want that pitmaker safe, but its too big for this purpose. I'm looking at getting 2 butts or so on there and some sausage or something.

Would love some ideas, I'm dying to get something ready to hit the woods.
Thanks,
JD

Awesome.....

How much room do you have and how much can it weigh? As to the trailer are you talking about one of those type deals that has an integral tent and you take on the trail or? I'm not familiar with it and just looking to see what you are talking about to point you in the right direction.

Ed

For our annual boys club camping trip, I take a modified 22.5 Weber kettle. I removed the legs, cut them so they fit inside, and put some chair leg caps on them. Everything packs together, and the footprint is only as big as the kettle, itself. I got it on craigslist for next to free, so cutting on it didnt bother me. The triangle is gone, and it doesn't have wheels, but that doesn't matter.

I know it's not a welding project, but it works for us.

Matt

Thanks all. Love the suggestions. I may look closely at that red box smoker, that may fit nicely in my front tongue cargo rack area.
Here's my trailer I'm building up. It's in the beginning stages. I will mount a roof top tent on the top and the lid flips open to the side (need gas struts for assist). Inside I'll have a big 12v fridge, slideout camp kitchen, propane, water tanks, solar panels and batter bank. Ideally I'm looking to have a very quick and easy way to setup a full comfy camp in the backwoods and operate fairly off-grid for a day or a week. If I could fit it in the front I also like that new backwoods 3400, but it would stick a few inches over because of the triangle shape. The PBC seems too big overall for what I'm looking for. Can't wait to get this dialed in :)

https://imgur.com/a/reuYY
https://imgur.com/a/r9sN9
r9sN9

Last edited:
That's an awesome looking trailer. I'll bet one of the little Humphrey's units would fit on the front cargo area. What is your budget?

Back