THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chronos

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm in Austin this week for work and, as we do every time I come down, we decided we wanted some really good BBQ. Unfortunately when we got there, after a 30 min drive, they had the dreaded out of food sign.

Now we're mad because we really want BBQ. It's tough standing there at the door and smelling the smoke and not getting any of the food. So we hop in the car and decided to go to the original Salt Lick that's an hour away in Dripping Springs. I've always wanted to go there but never had the time to drive all the way out there.

First of all, it's a drive and there's not much along the way. It's pretty well isolated. Then you pull in to a parking lot the size of most high schools. The place is HUGE. They have multiple buildings and indoor/outdoor seating areas. Oddly enough they can't sell you booze at your table but you can walk 50 yards to a little building and buy individual beers, glasses of wine, or 6-packs that you can bring to your table. I got a local beer Twisted X Chupacabra. Very good beer and less than 10 miles away from the Salt Lick.

We got the ranchers plate that had turkey, sausage, brisket, and pork ribs. We added on a beef rib so we could try everything. All of it was very good. I particularly liked the sausage and beef ribs. The beef ribs are not the dinosaur rib style where a lot of the prime rib meat is left on (Like Louie Mueller). They're the low on top meat but plenty to the sides.

One interesting thing, which I have to look up, is I swear they cure their pork ribs. The meat was redder than any smoke ring I've ever seen and seemed to have a consistency difference that really made me think it was cured. I don't know of any other way to describe it.

We were very glad to go there - sooo much better than the one in Round Rock. Well worth the trip but we're going to LM's next week for lunch to make sure there's still food left!!!

Here's some pics.

Thanks,

Jerry

Attachments

• NoFood.jpg
    NoFood.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 195
  • SL Pit.jpg
    SL Pit.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Menu.jpg
    Menu.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Beer.jpg
    Beer.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Dinner.jpg
    Dinner.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 191
Glad your trip worked out. What time of day did they run out of food? Have you tried the Taylor Cafe? It's just a block away.

We ate there several years ago and were quite happy with the whole experience.

TIM

We got there at 5:05 PM. We left work early :). Normally we don't get there till 5:45 and have never had them run out of all the food on us before. Something's always gone but as long as something remains I am completely fine.

I have not been to the Taylor Café. My friend, who lives near Lago Vista, said if we couldn't do LMs we were going to the Salt Lick.

Do you recommend the Taylor Café?

Glad your trip worked out. What time of day did they run out of food? Have you tried the Taylor Cafe? It's just a block away.

We got there at 5:05 PM. We left work early :). Normally we don't get there till 5:45 and have never had them run out of all the food on us before. Something's always gone but as long as something remains I am completely fine.

I have not been to the Taylor Café. My friend, who lives near Lago Vista, said if we couldn't do LMs we were going to the Salt Lick.

Do you recommend the Taylor Café?

It was good but it's more about Vincil he won't be around much longer. He's heading towards 100. It's one of the legendary joints. But I'm really hard to please. I think I expect too much after hearing about them my whole life. It's a whole different flavor compared to Louie Muellers.

I know the locals in Taylor and Elgin. They either love or hate these places that are supposed to be the best around.

Been to the original Salt Lick in Driftwood :) a dozen times and they always deliver good bbq. Great place to take friends and family, and the burnt ends are really good! Well worth the drive if you are in the Austin area.

Back