New Years Prime Rib on the Akorn

IllinoidRick

Knows what a fatty is.
After looking at everyones great looking prime rib roasts I had to jump on the band wagon.

Picked up a 7.5 pounder at Costco yesterday. Was looking for a boneless roast but the bone in roasts were better looking. Its tough to find smaller cuts at my Costco, most were huge. There is only four of us and two of them are going back to school next week.

Followed the advice here on the Brethren and trimmed off the fat cap and dry brined overnight. Rubbed with roasted garlic and herb mix from Weber about an hour before putting on the Akorn

Used the volcano method on the Akorn with the fire box almost full. Used RO briquetts. No lump left at my house. Started with 4 or 5 briquettes in the chimney and let the the pile going. Placed the hot coals in the center of the volcano. Placed apple wood chunks around the fire bowl. Akorn setteled in at 250 +/- 20 deg after about 40 minutes.

Quite breezy today. Is this why my temps varied up and down? Is this normal for a Akorn style cooker?

This is my first long cook Akorn, normaly use my PBC for long cooks. PBC was iced in place and could not get it free. Had a heck of a time getting the cover off the Akorn.

Cooked roast at 250 for just over 2.5 hours until IT was 125 in the center. Pulled off and foiled for 30 minutes. Taters were mot done so I finished them in the microwave. My wonderful wife made a horseradish dipping sauce that was great. Meat IT had risen to 128 ish when I started slicing.

I have not cooked a prime rib roast at 250 before and was amazed how small the grey med / med well ring on the outer edges was. Almost the entire roast was med rare. Next time I will amp up the temps and do a nice reverse sear for a better crust.

Again, another great meal using suggestions from the Brethren. Thanks guys and gals!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 174
Back