New smoker quest, paralyzed with analysis

The most plausible answer to the conditions, directions, fuel, flavor, and length of burn with possible options to your question: are leaning towards a Drum smoker (UDS) or a Weber Smoky Mountain (WSM) smokers.

Both are competition proven, reliable, award winning, and budget friendly.

Last edited:
Glitchy has a lot of good points. I recently switched to LJ 100% Hickory at the same time I had to put in a new iginter in my rec tec. I installed the new ceramic upgrade the same time I switched to LJ. Not sure what the major player is but, it is putting out much more/better smoke now. I also have a Masterbuilt 560 and really like it. Might be a good choice for you. Not too expensive to test drive

................ I recently switched to LJ 100% Hickory at the same time I had to put in a new iginter in my rec tec. I installed the new ceramic upgrade the same time I switched to LJ. Not sure what the major player is but, it is putting out much more/better smoke now....................

If your RecTeq is like every other pellet grill I'm aware of the igniter only ignites the pellets. All the burning characteristics are on the pellets after that.

+1 on a WSM. Once you stabilize on a temp it will run near that temp all night on its own. If you get a temperature controller you can throw the brisket in and go right to bed.

I never used a MAK pellet smoker but hear that they put out a good smoke profile. There is a brethren group buy sale on MAK going on right now.

I’m not a big fan of overnight cooks anymore either.

I’m also thinking about selling my GMG Daniel Boone for the same reason. I’ve been getting much better results by reverting back to my Weber Performer.

Back