THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smokeymagoo

Knows what a fatty is.
So, I was in the market for a new smoker and was leaning toward a WSM 22 when I ran across the Deep South Mailbox. I am very comfortable cooking on a UDS, as that is what i'm replacing. So after a few emails with Randall and a drive over to Megabyte BBQ supply in Orlando (Local Deep South Dealer), I brought one home.
Here are my initial thoughts,

Build Quility:
Not much to be said here, All welded with a beautiful auto-paint finish. Had guys talking with me about it at the gas station on my way home. TO say it is "well" built would be the understand of the century. Absolutely no complaints about build quality.

Burn Time:
I am not convinced a variable burn pattern, or maze, is the best way to go with this cooker. Now I have only just done a burn in, so more on that in the future, but what I will say is on a 1/2 load (approx 12lbs) of Royal Oaks Lump Briquettes it held an extremely steady 300 for about 5 to 6 hours.
It took me about an hour of tinkering to get the temp up and I had no water in the pan as it was covered in a nice layer of Pam for seasoning.
(Note: I will cook with a Guru at 225 most of the time so I expect long burn times)

Complaint:
I only have 2 at this point. First, I wish it was insulated, from best i can tell it is double walled but it has no insulation. I understand at that price point but I would still like it. Second, I believe it should come with an ash pan. I will use an old baking sheet to remedy that, but at it would be nice if it came with one. Minor complaints, but still complaints all the same.

I will be doing some Baby Backs for the wife today, as she is a Baby Back Freak, so I will give more updates tonight.

Thanks,
JW

Attachments

• Mailbox1.jpg
    Mailbox1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 491
Congrats on your new cooker. It looks quite nice and you should have great meals cooked on it. That's a beautiful setting you have.

If indeed that cooker is double walled, then it insulated. Dead air is one of the best insulators around. That is why Weber uses air as the insulating medium in its Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. It's a double walled cooker just like yours.

I like your ash pan idea. An old baking pan sould work quite nicely.

Ceramic,

Thanks, my wife and I love this place, just moved in here in may.

On to the ribs,

With 25 coals fully lit, it took 37 mins to come up to 225. These coals were into the middle on top of a half full basket. Can't wait to see what it does.
Here are a few picks.(note: No Guru yet as I have not made an adapter to fit.)

Thanks,
JW

Attachments

• 20170723_133414.jpg
    20170723_133414.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 447
Here is a look at 4 hours in. I did not wrap and this was the first time I opened the hood. Just starting to slather on some sauce. It has rolled right along at 225 with no help. So far so good.

Thanks,
JW

Attachments

• 3B72CB02-C646-47DA-ABE8-89CA02F5535A.jpg
    3B72CB02-C646-47DA-ABE8-89CA02F5535A.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 400
Congrats and looking forward to your updates.

I was looking for a new smoker this spring and was really interested in the Mailbox. I couldn't understand why they didn't hinge the cook chamber and use slide out racks - I really don't like having to pull food and reach down into a cooker if you're cooking on multiple levels. Other than that, it looked like a great cooker and a great size.

Congrats and looking forward to your updates.

I was looking for a new smoker this spring and was really interested in the Mailbox. I couldn't understand why they didn't hinge the cook chamber and use slide out racks - I really don't like having to pull food and reach down into a cooker if you're cooking on multiple levels. Other than that, it looked like a great cooker and a great size.

Bill,

I agree, a hinged front door would take this smoker to a whole other level. However, I am taller than average so bending in is not so bad and it is designed perfectly so all of the grates and water pan come out with no problems. I chose the Mailbox because I have smoked so much on an UDS with 2 racks, so I was already familiar with the cons of no front door.

Update on the cook last weekend;

Here are the finished picks, outstanding smoke ring. In fact it may be to much for some. I had a GMG Jim Bowie for a while and this is a much more intense smoke flavor. Just for a comparison.

Thanks,
JW

Attachments

• DB40AFCF-0B67-476B-84FC-290E7E4B3A9B.jpg
    DB40AFCF-0B67-476B-84FC-290E7E4B3A9B.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 226
  • 01814B7F-2393-4C4B-83FD-921EC6FC1DAD.jpg
    01814B7F-2393-4C4B-83FD-921EC6FC1DAD.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 224
Congrats! The paint is real nice on those. Looks like the ribs came out perfect too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That is a really neat smoker.

I like the price point it sells for.

What would estimate is a max payload on pork butts ? I'm looking at cookers in this range and trying to decide what I want.

Back