THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Planning under way for blues & BBQ fest
Organizing committee reviewing all aspects of Marlboro event
BY REBECCA MORTON Staff Writer

MARLBORO — A meeting of minds recently came together to help advance plans for the first Marlboro Blues and BBQ Festival, which is expected to be held on Aug. 8 on the grounds of the municipal complex.
Township Council President Jeff Cantor came up with the idea for the festival and asked his fellow members of the council if they felt it would be an idea worth pursuing. The members of the council and Mayor Jonathan Hornik said they would support having such an event in the community.
The planning committee is not receiving any funding from the township. The group met on Dec. 11 to begin the process of putting the festival together. The first tasks will include booking bands and seeking sponsors at levels ranging from $500 to $20,000.
The festival is expected to have about seven professional blues entertainers from across the United States. No musicians are confirmed yet, but the date is on hold with entertainment managers, it was reported. Guests at the festival will learn about the roots of blues and jazz music and children will have the opportunity to handle some of the instruments. Music is expected to continue throughout the day.

A vendor area will be set up for visitors to browse. Event organizers are hoping to have food, merchandise and service vendors display in the area.
For the mouthwatering barbecue delights that are expected to be available at the event, Cantor said some of the area's best barbecue specialty restaurants would be present. Amateur barbecue masters will be invited to compete in various contests. BBQ chefs will go head to head pitting their chicken, ribs, chili, pulled pork and brisket against one another to be named the champion. As part of the day's festivities, a motorcycle competition will be held and the best bike will be honored.
Event organizers have appropriated money for various items and they tried to work through what is necessary to bring the plan to fruition and what would be extra, to be funded if possible.
Cantor said police officers will need to work the event and was informed that between 10 and 12 officers will be required that day. He said each officer will cost $57.50 an hour.
The planning committee has taken note of the success of the township's annual Marlboro Day celebration, which generally brings about 20,000 attendees to the municipal complex over the course of the day. Organizers hope to have similar success with the Blues and BBQ Festival. They are hoping to draw attendees from Monmouth, Ocean and Middlesex counties.
Parking for attendees will not be allowed at the municipal complex on Aug. 8, but the committee has arranged for parking to be provided at Marlboro High School, as well as at nearby elementary schools, middle schools and the Marlboro library. Shuttle buses would carry guests from the parking areas to the festival site.
Proceeds raised from the Blues and BBQ Festival will go to the Marlboro First Aid Squad and the Morganville First Aid Squad. An entrance fee of $5 is expected to be charged for people 17 and older.
For more information on sponsorships, being a vendor or taking part in the day's events check out the Marlboro Blues and BBQ Festival Internet Web site at www.marlborobluesbbq.org.

If OC is in my Nuttz are out!! :mrgreen:

Someone is finally catching on to my game plan. The more that hate me, the better, they will not come around the contests I will be at. Gives me a better shot of winning! Wait until you here who I am cooking with at FYBO and maybe a few others - SLEDNECK. Now there's two ash holes, wow - is that where we came up with the name. THE ASH HOLES!:lol:

If OC is in my Nuttz are out!! :mrgreen:

Someone is finally catching on to my game plan. The more that hate me, the better, they will not come around the contests I will be at. Gives me a better shot of winning! Wait until you here who I am cooking with at FYBO and maybe a few others - SLEDNECK. Now there's two ash holes, wow - is that where we came up with the name. THE ASH HOLES!:lol:
Hey easy that name is only on loan to you :twisted: 2 years ago on the way down to Salisbury me , vinny and SIDE came up with it:biggrin:

not sure we can cook this one, it would be followed by Hudson Valley Ribfest & then New Holland 4 days later that would be rough! I'm waiting to see if New Holland will allow our new trailer:rolleyes:

then I'll be able to decide.

Back