THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

bnew17

I recently got a 84x32" fuel tank I want to make into a reverse flow smoker. I have been researching all over the net for info but I have not found everything I need...im hoping somebody here can help me with these questions.

1. On the firebox...do you cut out your opening to the tank at the very top of the box? Upper third? Or where?

2.is there a rule of thumb on the downward slope of the reverse flow plate as it goes down the length of the smoker body? Like 1/4" per foot?

3. Ive read on one post where 6" should be between the plate and grate and also 6" between plate and bottom of smoker body. Ive read where if its too close to the grate it could cause a hot spot ...is this accurate?

4. Should the smoke stack come out of the top of the smoker or the side? If the side how do you know how far down to bring the opening of the smoke stack?

5. Ive put my dimensions into the ratio calculator...if say it called for 50" of 4" pipe....could (2) 4" pipes 25" long work the same as 1 50" pipe

I hope yall can help me out with this...this will be my first smoker build and I want it to be done right..

The first plan is what I gave my welder William to use to build my pit using a 55 gallon drum and she's a beauty! Oh, and she cooks pretty darn good as well.

This plan is designed for a 160 gallon tank; it's dimensions are 68" long by 26" dia. the firebox is 24"x 24"x 21" tall using a 6" pipe for the stack.

Here's the build link with tons of pron:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/95545/160ish-gallon-rf-smoker-1-of-4

88ede2dd_ReverseFlowHorizontalSmoker-Cooker_.png
imgres

Below is a plan I found with double stacks and the following description:

"this is called a "reverse flow" style smoker. As you can see in the next to last photo, the door on the firebox has a flap on the bottom edge. This lets you control how much air is allowed into the fire chamber. The firebox is connected to the smoke chamber via a 5" square tube about 8' long. the heat/smoke is controlled with damper #1 its a 1/4" steel plate and attached to the lever you see on the top of the tubing. The dark blue line (it looks almost black in this post) represents the floor of the smoke chamber, which is just a metal sheet that retains most of the heat/smoke until it travels to the far side of the chamber and then flows back towards the stack with damper #2 and on out. Damper #3 is kept closed unless you need to open for temp control. the green dotted lines represent the top & bottom racks. (shelves)"
p68602453-3.jpg

I hope this info helps ~ make sure you show us when you are finished. :thumb:

Check out the link in my sig... That's my build from last year. Yours sounds close to my dimensions. :thumb:

Cheers

Back