THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kwas68

is one Smokin' Farker
A couple of months ago, I was looking for a reason to build a UDS as I’m completely happy charcoal water smoker guy. You guys urged me on and I finally found some time to build it while raising 2 toddlers and being blessed with newborn twins. I read about the first 200 pages of the master thread (plenty of time in the hospital) and took notes. I felt like I had a pretty good idea of what to do. It took a lot of time to get through, but the reward was that the assembly was pretty painless.

Some of my observations on the build:
· Costs can add up. Man, stainless gets expensive! I was still able to build a smoker I’m proud of for less than $200.
· The Harbor Freight stepped drill bit lasted at least this one build. I feel like I got my money’s worth.
· A jig saw going through porcelain coated steel of the Weber base is as LOUD as all get out. Glasses and earplugs are necessary.
· The burn was fun because fire is cool! However, I thought I’d want to sit around and watch it but the burning exterior paint fumes suggested otherwise.
· The most complicated part of the build is the charcoal basket. Tying the expanded metal with rebar wire is a slight pain. Welders probably have an advantage here. I also had a hard time finding expanded metal and think I ultimately overpaid for it at Metals Supermarket.
· The UDS moved pretty well on the wheels. I need to add some handles though.
· I was surprised by nothing. The thread was extensive and I was confident that what I was doing was going to work. And it did.
· Pointing out to my wife while watching BBQ Pitmasters that a BBQ champ like Bigmista was using a UDS, just like the one I was building, was pretty cool.
· I definitely felt a sense of pride in making it myself. I am excited to show people pictures of it.

The next planned mods are a large White Sox logo and a shelf with hooks for tongs and a beer opener (of course). The shelf can act as a handle for me to push the UDS around on the big wheels. I also need to put a handle of some sort on my charcoal basket.

I smoked a fatty yesterday to season it. Found that the dial thermometer on the side read about 15° hotter than the temperature in the center. Had one ¾” plug removed and the ball valve opened ¼ of the way to maintain a 240° for a couple hours. It was a short run but I was impressed with the consistency.

I can’t wait to get more experience with it.

Big thanks to the Brethren for the expertise. I’m really glad that I found your site. Besides the UDS, I’ve learned about MOINKs, ABT’s, Chuckies, etc. Man, I didn’t know what I was missing. Thanks for the knowledge!

Attachments

Nice. I'm going to pick up my barrel this week and start mine. Did you get your expanded metal local, or is that the online place? I haven't started looking for it yet. It shouldn't be hard to find a place in Chicago, but taking time off from work during the week to go get it is an issue for me.

Paid $25 at Metals Supermarket in Bridgeview (south suburb of Chi-Town). I asked around and couldn't find another place that has it. Checked HD and Menards to no avail.

My expanded metal is 12" tall. I made it that tall so that I could "potentially" rest a diffuser right on top of the basket without drilling anymore holes in the drum.

great build man! love the white sox theme

actually the home depot up the road in tinley park does carry it, that is where i got mine.

when did you burn your barrel? i may have smelled the fumes...

The ash catcher is a cheap table top grill. I've seen them at at Ace and Menards. On sale now at Menards.

Wish I could have found the expanded metal at the Tinley HD. They had no idea what I was talking about when I was there.

Looks cool! :clap2:

How did you get the rope gasket to stick to the metal? I tried with the glue that was included in the gasket kit and the rope gasket just sucked it up like a sponge and never even got tacky enough to hold.:confused:

I used the glue provided with the stove gasket as well. It worked OK. I scuffed up the surface with a scotch-brite pad beforehand. With the porcelain coated surface, it almost seemed like I polished it more than scuffed it though.

I used a 3/8" diameter gasket. If I do it again, I'd get the next larger size because I had some rather large gaps that I had to seal with high temp silicone.

Made baby backs yesterday for my first official cook. Finding that the UDS is quick to respond to opening the lid but slow to react to changes at the nipples. Never got out of an unacceptable range though. I'm getting the hang of it. Here's proof.

Still waiting on that Sox logo. Also got a shelf in the works. More to come...

Looking forward to an overnight cook.

Last edited:
Back