My Tiernan SOB-34--Welcome Home

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Rescued this cooker off Craigslist. Tiernan Aeration in Amarillo TX manufacturers of this unit produced quality internal firebox cookers for a long time. I thought they'd quit when they closed the BBQ side of their building. Recently saw a FB post for Champions BBQ supply where they loaded up 4 SOB-48's for their store. Like I said,they've been making these a really long time. You will see them on Craigslist and FB marketplace- occasionally. The new SOB48 has a retail near $1600.
Having had and sold a 24&48 I've always wanted the SOB34 4 wheels. Some things to watch for
Oldest models no wheels
Next two wheels
Newest 4 wheels
Monogrammed Thermometer
Tight lid
Firebox original- fits like glove
Tight stainless intake and steel rotating exhaust cover
May have some exterior rust but steel integrity not compromisd
HD form fitting interior parts grates ash pan removable tray all HD stainless
Stainless side tray

I'm still learning the 34. After several cooks it holds steady 275 for 3-4 hours in a loaded firebox of briquett with three chunks before it very slowly starts to drop. At 5 hours with a split it will be going below 225. I'm curious to know how Weber briquettes perform. There is not an upper tray but it is possible to load the ash tray grate that's used in the grilling configuration. Prior owner of this cooker alluded to some hotshot BBQ and said he could do 6 briskets using the deck and below deck configuration.

1600 probably not to me but there are fantastic cookers on the secondary market. Tiernan made custom sizes and offsets. If they're making the 34 I've not seen it nor a price.

Anyway if you like searching for cookers this is definitely one to watch for..Quality cooker

Last edited:
Satisfied for now with the cooker line up

Steel-Ceramic-Pellet-Barrel

Last edited:
These were sold through their store as well as dealers nationwide. I’ve even seen comp trailers. So California to Florida and everywhere in between they may show up. Tiernan also had a custom cover. That’s my next search.

I saw one pop up in my area around 15 years ago but passed on it for a Texas Smokemaster offset. Haven't seen one since.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a 48 inch Tiernan and on a long cook will stir the charcoal with a long set of tongs to get the ash to drop out and refil to about 3/4 full with charcoal every hour to hour and a half.

I was going to say the other day when you posted this shot in the other thread. Hey I thought you sold the SOB, now I know the rest of the story.

attachment.php

Back