My T&K Small Gravity Feed Review

Congrats and thanks for the review. I have been keeping my eye on them.
i was doing the same. prices are starting to go up so i figured it was time to buy it. i guess as they get more popular and reviews are good they don't need to be the lowest priced to sell them.
That's an awesome review. As you know I'm considering this line of smokers for competitions. Please keep us updated as you continue to tinker with it more.

Thanks again, that's one sweet looking rig.
i hope you have a trailer. i don't think you are going to lay this on it's back and slide it into the bed of a truck. it seems like it is well balanced and would go up a ramp much better than a tall skinny cabinet. i also like the welded on tie downs vs the ones that are screwed in.
Is it going to make a road trip to the November bash? :-D
it is only 2 miles but i don't know how i would get it in the back of the truck. you guys are more than welcome to stop by the house and look it over.:becky:

I'd say you're definitely right about sliding it in a truck. I actually just bought a toy hauler last Friday. I have to go to Nashville to pick it up Tuesday. My Reverse Flow Cabinet does a good job but I have to work at maintaining temperature with it once I am into my cook a few hours. It's more operator error than anything but I think a GF would take that out of the equation for me and I can just concentrate on flavors and tenderness.

Man I've been drooling over those myself and have contemplated making the trip to St Louis for one. Sweet new cooker. Can't wait to see it loaded down.
i was going to make the 14 hour drive but their shipping was about what it would cost for hotel, gas, food, etc. Then i have to unload it myself. :loco:
very nice cooker and have been looking into one of these and the Saint Louis BBQ store is only a 3 hour drive down the road .
if i was that close i would be there all the time just looking at all the different cookers. from conversations with them they seem to have a crap load of all different types in stock.
Are you using a temp controller? I had a Guru with the pit vipor fan on a Southern Q Limo. My initial heat up time was pretty darn close to 2 hrs. I just switched to the Pit Bull fan and I'm now up to temp in 40 minutes. Recovery times are very quick as well.

Thought I'd pass it along.

Todd
no ATC yet. i have a HeaterMeter with a big fan but that just adds time to the setup of the cooker. i am trying to go without until i find a real need. i bought it for my cabinet but with the huge intakes on my cabinet it doesn't take very long to get up to temp on it's own. i think i can have this up to temp in 45-60 minutes with a small torch and maybe quicker once i warm the cc with the weed burner. your Limo is a lot bigger than my GF though. it recovers pretty quickly after leaving the door open a little too long so hopefully i can go without. i would be very happy with the 40 minutes you are getting but i agree that 2 hours is way, way too long.

update...
did another cook and the Weber Briquettes work even better. the smoke cleared up at a much lower temp. 1 weber chimney full ran for 5 hours at 275 before i had to shut the intake and get to bed (not including the hour to get up to temp).

the probe port is too small if you have probes with any curve to them the will NOT work. the port is on the side with the chute where there is no good place to set my maverick. if you have the short 3ft probes you use up a lot of length just getting from the outside of the charcoal chute to the grates. it would work much better on the exhaust stack side where the walls are not a foot thick. from the stack side i could hang the maverick from the side handle or lay it on top of the cook chamber. if i was getting it customized i would make sure they probe port is not on the chute side. the door therm is accurate, according to the boiling water test, but reads 20-25 degrees lower than the probes in the middle of the racks. not a huge deal as i have seen this in many other types of cookers.

Oh Ya.! Nice Color choice......I Wish I could Buy a New Smoker every 6 months....

And I'm sure you know somebody with a trailer for that Long 2 mile drive to the Bash......

It's ONLY 2 miles......

tsHTf6Il.png

Last edited:
congrats! I'm surprised RO doesn't burn clean. Would love to hear your results if you use another type of lump.

congrats! I'm surprised RO doesn't burn clean. Would love to hear your results if you use another type of lump.

me too. what do you recommend? i have only used RO for high heat in a kettle and to start the stick burner.

I also like the welded on tie downs vs the ones that are screwed in.

it is only 2 miles but i don't know how i would get it in the back of the truck. you guys are more than welcome to stop by the house and look it over.:becky:

Just strap it to your Shirley. You just said they have welded on tie downs, right? :clap2:

me too. what do you recommend? i have only used RO for high heat in a kettle and to start the stick burner.

I like B & B oak lump but there can be some huge pieces/logs in the bag which probably wouldn't work for a gravity feed pit. So in that case I would go with Central Market oak lump.. the tan/orange bags found at HEB. Not as many big pieces to deal with IMO.

I know this is a little late pjtexas1, but good write up, nice thread. Can I ask since it’s been a year if you’re still happy with your T&K? I’ve been in contact with Todd just asking him questions. There are so many smokers in the $2500 range it’s overwhelming. Stumps, Pitmaker, Assassin, Backwoods, you name it. Just seeing if you have any regrets or quality issues? Have your temps been relatively stable and even thru the racks?
Thanks
Steve

I know this is a little late pjtexas1, but good write up, nice thread. Can I ask since it’s been a year if you’re still happy with your T&K? I’ve been in contact with Todd just asking him questions. There are so many smokers in the $2500 range it’s overwhelming. Stumps, Pitmaker, Assassin, Backwoods, you name it. Just seeing if you have any regrets or quality issues? Have your temps been relatively stable and even thru the racks?
Thanks
Steve

Which ever one you choose I'm sure you'll be happy. Since you're on the West coast you owe to yourself to check out Cascade Smokers. I just ordered my second cabinet from them the "Que DeVille" and it's in the aforementioned price range.

Thanks
Steve

No issues. Temps are good thru the racks. Bottom is a little hotter but better than some others. I just wish it was cooler out so i can cook more. Todd is good people. I did complain about the umbrella holder being too small to hold any of my umbrellas. Turns out if i take out the bottom pole 2 of my umbrellas fit. Still happy with my purchase.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pjtexas1 I'm in the market for a gravity feed smoker. I currently have a Primo Oval XL but I need more capacity. How many pork butts, brisket, and ribs can you get in the T&K medium smoker?

pjtexas1 I'm in the market for a gravity feed smoker. I currently have a Primo Oval XL but I need more capacity. How many pork butts, brisket, and ribs can you get in the T&K medium smoker?
Brisket: I cook under 15LB so I can fit 2 per rack or 6 briskets. Bigger and only 3.

Butts: again depends on size. Medium 3-4 per rack, large 2-3. Only 5.25" of clearance between racks.

Ribs: I never cook very many at a time. I would guess 3, maybe 4 tightly, St Louis per rack. 3 empty rack sliders could double that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back