My smashburgers are on the bland side. Why?

Get’n Smokey;4639329 said:
That’s two different burgers for us.

Pre Smash Smash Burgers go on the griddle, sear plate or cast iron skillet

1/4 to 1/2 Patties goes on the grill or smoker for a revers sear

Never tried to grill a smash but sounds interesting tho

Sorry - I used griddle/grill interchangeably here and caused a mess, pre-smashed on a griddle (blackstone or whatever) is a burger.
Meatball on a griddle, smashed = smashburger.

Use 80/20, put super thin sliced onions down, sprinkle with salt,then a ball of 80/20 ontop of the onions, smash, then another sprinkle of salt, flip, slice of kraft american, when cheese melts serve on butter toasted buns with w/e fix'ns you like and enjoy.

80/20 max. 73% percent made the best ones I have ever done. Season with whatever. Smash burgers are about the crust and are very thin.

I have always thought ^^^^^^that should be the way to cook a smashed burger--pre smashed. Never understood smashing the ball on the griddle. Would anyone care to explain the prevailing thought to smash on the griddle versus cooking pre-smashed?

Thanks,

Robert

I'll try. Smash burgers are too thin to pre smash. They are typically 2.5-3 oz, not a 1/4 pound, that's too thick. A spatula is not stiff enough to do a proper smash. It takes a smasher or I have used a cast iron pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking. They brown on the bottom before the smash and cook more even and with better crust by doing it that way. Remember the thumb dimple in the middle of a 1/4 pound+ burger to prevent the bulge. You can almost see thru a smash burger, they are about the crunch, crusties, much like real burnt ends. That's my take anyway after hanging out on the Blackstone site for quite a while and studying this topic. I reserve the right to be wrong :) If you like a thick juicy burger, you may not like a smash burger. I prefer them because the burnt part is my favorite. I tried

I know a bunch of folks recommending Lawry's, and I use it on some of my smashburgers as well, another all purpose blend I use on just about everything on the griddle, including sweating peppers or onions after prep slicing, is Goya All Purpose with pepper (Original). There are other kinds, but I keep coming back to this one.

SALT, GARLIC, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE (ANTICAKING AGENT), BLACK PEPPER, OREGANO, TURMERIC.

efa75ba2-ff0f-469b-8db6-739721e721a5_1.7b4f384dcfc4c294be4ef006adfd350d.jpeg

With smashburgers, the only seasoning I use is salt on one side after the smash. Anything else just burns off or scorches. I either add seasonings after I pull them off or put it in the burger glop. With regular burgers, I will season on both sides, but I don't run the grill nearly as hot as I do with smashburgers.

I never pre-smash. Too thin. My weapon of war is a Marshall Air 148138.

I know a bunch of folks recommending Lawry's, and I use it on some of my smashburgers as well, another all purpose blend I use on just about everything on the griddle, including sweating peppers or onions after prep slicing, is Goya All Purpose with pepper (Original). There are other kinds, but I keep coming back to this one.

SALT, GARLIC, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE (ANTICAKING AGENT), BLACK PEPPER, OREGANO, TURMERIC.

I know lots of folks like Lawry's and Goya but I like this better than either one. Easy to find too.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/d5....jpeg?odnWidth=612&odnHeight=612&odnBg=ffffff

d5a26f47-f924-4fdc-819e-1474a6e681e5_1.8df86080c3c3c63bccaf42689ae86395.jpeg

I do love me some Lawry's but Jeremy (4Ever3) turned me on to this and this is a refined version of Lawry's. Get ya some!

41kRYMD15JL.jpg

Ultimate Hangover Smash

Ground 80/20- Pre Smashed, Salted and back in fridge for two hours

When flipped used course black pepper and a steak seasoning added cheese ( mine had blue cheese)

Western Fries for the kids. They love’em

Fresh cut taters 1/2” add cheese, bacon and put in microwave for a few seconds ( mine had smoked pepper jack)

Cooked up some Bacon, onions, jalapeños and blue oyster mushrooms

Kids had a fried egg on top. mine was sunny

Y’all have a great rest of the week.

Last edited:
Back