My Prime rib needs work.

hdrolling

Knows what a fatty is.
So I finally was able to smoke a standing rib roast, seeing the previous threads had my mouth watering for some.

The local butcher had a nice three bone that I picked up, bone still attached.

To prep I cut the bones off, and then seasoned the bone side with lots of Worcestershire sauce and lots of salt and pepper and then tied the bone back on. Repeated the seasoning for the other side but also added a touch of Oakridge BBQ seasoning.

I wrapped that in plastic wrap and let it sit overnight in the frig.

Next day I smoked at 220 with Hickory and apple until the internal temp was 125 deg and then pulled and cover in foil until it was time to eat (1/2 hr).Temps were checked with my Maverick ET 733 and a thermopen MK4.

The meat was very tender and juicy, but lacked any real flavor? It did have the smoke taste on the edges put the rest was bland. I almost went and slapped it on the grill and added the Montreal steak seasoning like I do with my tbones.

Are my taste buds just spoiled from too much seasoning on my normal grilled steaks?

Attachments

• 15380482_10154750103830786_1486256185889870087_n.jpg
    15380482_10154750103830786_1486256185889870087_n.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 15439740_10154750103845786_6310179234844991165_n.jpg
    15439740_10154750103845786_6310179234844991165_n.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 15355595_10154750103885786_1632689298148963017_n.jpg
    15355595_10154750103885786_1632689298148963017_n.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 316
That is the typical standing rib roast/prime rib. The bark is fantastic and beef flavor in the middle.

The outside of the meat, it looks like you have a medium layer of rub on there. Now one thing you can do is make some sort of paste using either mustard, hot sauce, olive oil, w/ the rub so that more is stuck to the outside of the meat. The thicker bark will allow you to taste more flavor when slicing up the meat.

Now things to do to bring flavor to the inside of the meat.
1. Injection - I'm not a fan of injecting meats. It changes textures of the meat to me.
2. Making an Au-Jus from the drippings or from a beef base (like Better than Bullion)
3. Finishing salts. You can use a nice fleur de sel, or other fancy sea salts or even smoked salts. After you slice, just sprinkle a little bit of the finish salts onto the cut sides of the meat to bring a little bit more flavor tot he meat.

That is where the roll of a good aujus comes into play. Knock some of the seasoning off the outer pieces when dipped, but adds to the inner pieces when dipped

I like to stab some slits in the roast with a paring knife and push some slivers of garlic in to get some good flavor in the middle. Maybe try that?

I personally love the taste of beef and rarely season beef with much more than salt and pepper. I am wondering if the quality of the roast you had may have been sub par. If you simply like a well seasoned piece of beef I suggest cutting into steaks and cooking separate?

to me, seasoning should compliment the meat. the meat flavor should be the star of the show. if you didn't find the seasoning strong enough, just add more. since it's such a large piece of meat with only the outer edges seasoned, you can really over season and still have great results. also injection as recommended, but that is not my preference.

to me, it looks like you cooked it perfectly, but the seasoning wasn't quite up to your preference.

Your roast looks perfectly done.

I like to reverse sear rib roasts for a bit more flavor:

-Apply a light coat of canola oil to the roast and then follow with the seasonings of your choice.

-Smoke it at 250 to 110 IT, pull it off the smoker to rest about 20 minutes covered.

-Put the roast on a HOT grill, flipping every minute or so to sear all sides. You're looking for an IT of about 125-130 to finish.

It gets a good crust and will be nice and pink end to end.

Another thing you could try is dry aging for as long as you can stand. I will age my roasts for anywhere between 2 weeks and a month prior to smoking. I have found that this intensifies the beef flavor

I don't have many suggestions on flavoring the inside - mine are all beef flavor in the middle too - but that looks like a fine, fine roast beef to me.

Throw some Kosher or sea salt on the slices after cutting, or go a little heavier with the S/P on the outside. You nailed the temp

I wouldn't even bother doing prime rib without preparing an au jus to go with it. Your technique is solid now perfect a glorious au jus!

Other than au jus or a light seasoning of the cut meat, the biggest thing to look at is the quality of the meat you are starting with. Prime rib has a big inside to edge ratio, so the meat itself is the star of the show. If the star is not up to snuff the entire performance isn't going to cut it. A quality USDA prime dry aged piece of angus is going to be much better than generic supermarket beef for a dish like prime rib.

Another possibility could be what you alluded to. You are conditioned to like the seasoning more than the meat and maybe prime rib is not your thing.

Thanks everyone, I'm getting some great input. I do believe it will be a few months before I get up the nerve to try another Prime rib.

Now that I have tried a basic smoke I have some good ideas from the comments in this thread.

The roast I just cooked came strait from the butcher not a supermarket so I hope it was a good piece.

Next I'm going to focus on an NC style pulled pork.

Back