THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Mother used to cook brisket flats in oven bags. She marinated her's for a couple of days, then hung it in a Little Chief box smoker for a couple of hours, then into the bag for an oven finish. I can attest to how good beef and onions are when cooked together. I make beef cheek barbacoa and after smoking them for 4 or 5 hours, I add do a wrapped finish with beefy broth and onions.

9Ib7DqN.jpg

It's ok, I wasn't offended :)

This is a forum about BBQ, and this technique could arguable considered not BBQ? I thought I would share it though because I usually walk past the flats too - they always tempt me, but I've never had luck smoking them. They always end up too dry. But this method is sort of a hybrid and seems to come out great every time. I was thinking about cooking it dry for the last 30 min or so to harden up the bark but I don't even think it's necessary.

Oh also the left overs reheat amazingly. I like reheating the slices slowly in a frying pan, and I add a little bit of BBQ sauce for the last few min. I also throw in some of the caramelized onions from the cooking liquid - makes great sandwiches.

There are lots of people that smoke briskets for a few hours and then wrap...doesn't matter if its foil, paper, or an oven bag...at that point the heat is just a heat source...it is definitely still BBQ and looks awesome!

Cook it any way you want. As long as you like it that’s all that matters. Try The leftovers (if there are any) in good spaghetti sauce to make a good beef ragu to put on spaghetti. I started tossing spare ribs in my sauce a while ago. Love it!

Back