THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

great steak ron

My wife almost bought me a Tomahawk around fathers day. I am glad she didn't. Hear me out.......

Boneless ribeye's go on sale for $6/lb ( i actually have like 20 1-1/2 inch ribeye's in the freezer) Anyway, At $15+/lb your paying for that huge bone. I bet that bone weighs almost a pound!
Unless you plan on eating that entire steak with no knife or fork, just holding onto that bone, i don't even see the experience of it.

he only paid $15 for the whole steak. bone or not thats a deal. and it was only 12/lbs to begin with. highly doubt that bone weights 1 lbs....probably half that or less. tomahawks I see are always priced less than their boneless counterparts from the same store so its almost a wash anyway. besides it just looks awesome. not everyone is as frugal as you....do I need to go on

My wife almost bought me a Tomahawk around fathers day. I am glad she didn't. Hear me out.......

Boneless ribeye's go on sale for $6/lb ( i actually have like 20 1-1/2 inch ribeye's in the freezer) Anyway, At $15+/lb your paying for that huge bone. I bet that bone weighs almost a pound!
Unless you plan on eating that entire steak with no knife or fork, just holding onto that bone, i don't even see the experience of it.

Agreed...

I’ve bought them and cooked them, and no doubt they are cool to see on the platter, but I decided they are worth the added expense...

Awesome price and cook Ron!

Great cook Ron! I still haven't done a tomahawk but, that is truly some inspiration. Nice to find such a deal and it had some nice marbling too. Whenever I find cheap ribeyes they are marbled like a round steak :wink:

That looks really good, better than my result last night.

I was at Costco and they had some Tomahawks and I debated buying them but it is difficult to cook even one much less both of them for just my wife and I. They need to be available when I am entertaining. I had reversed grilled them on my LYNX propane before and they turned out great.

After passing on the Tomahawks I went to my local butcher and bought a 1.61 pound 1 ½ inch thick prime bone-in ribeye and tried a reverse sear starting with my new MAK and finishing on the LYNX infrared burner.

I have the propane down and rarely even check temperature, I just have a sense but followed a couple online directions and used a probe and a Thermapen One and all went well except the searing. The Ribeye turned out just a smidge overdone but more than acceptable. Seems the recommended time per side for searing was too much on an infrared burner. The next time it will be perfect.

Attachments

• Ribeye_sear.jpg
    Ribeye_sear.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 56
I have never in my life seen a boneless ribeye for $6/lb.
Around here in Missouri they're running $15/lb at the slaughterhouse and
close to $18/lb. in the grocery stores. And try $23/lb. in the specialty meat markets.

Great job and yes a great price! At $14.42 for a 2.92 lb steak that's about $4.94 per lb. Even if the bone weighs 1/2 lb that's still about $5.96 a pound.

That's some good information right there, if I do say so myself. Not as impressive as my legendary hotdog cook, but pretty good all the same.

Last edited:
Great job and yes a great price! At $14.42 for a 2.92 lb steak that's about $4.94 per lb. Even if the bone weighs 1/2 lb that's still about $5.96 a pound.

That's some good information right there, if I do say so myself. Not as impressive as my legendary hotdog cook, but pretty good all the same.

With every bite, I was still thinking about those hotdogs.

Looks great from over here!.......I watch for them to go on sale and will cook a couple a year. The bad part for me is it doesn't make much sense as my wife insists on medium well, so we'd have to cook two, lol. No way I can take down one by myself. :loco:

Back