THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ColoradoSmoke

Full Fledged Farker
Yesterday I attempted my first MOINK Ball poppers. I used my Hasty with the smoking deflector on it. I'm guessing the temps were around 325-350F with the fire box raised pretty high. I cooked them for about 1hr before glazing them with BBQ sauce, and then another 20 min.

I started off making some stuffed jalapenos with cheese (cream and a Mexican blend), Old Bay seasoning, and chopped cilantro.

picture.php

I then cut the jalapenos into thirds so that the meat balls wouldn't be too big.

picture.php

I then used my meat grinder to grind roughly 1.5 lbs of chuck and 1 lb of short rib for the meat balls. I mixed in chopped onion and red/yellow bell peppers along with the bread crumbs and eggs. I also sprinkled in some BBQ rub that I made a while back.

picture.php

I cut the bacon up into thirds. Here's my first meat ball being made...

picture.php

Here the are all made and sprinkled with more rub. I used skewers to help manage them (removed when serving). I ran out of meat so I made some little jalapeno popper bites with what was left over.

picture.php

And this is them before I put the BBQ sauce on them.

picture.php

I then glazed them with BBQ sauce and left them on the grill for another 20 min to get sticky.

And of course, I forgot to get the final money shot. Everyone loved them. Next time I'm going to try to make the balls a little smaller so there is a better balance between the meat and popper.

Thanks!

Looks great. Would have loved to see the inside. I've made similar things with just adding the meatball slices on top of the cream cheese, but never thought of the wrap around. Good idea.

Back