MAK temp questions

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeffry
Anyone else having issues with their MAK overshooting temps and staying there? My MAK is overshooting temps significantly. I cooked pig shots at 300 the other week. Temp was really 353-358. Cooked chicken today at 225. Pit was reading 271. Smoking sausage at 200 right now. Bottom is reading 228 and top is 238. At lower temps, seems the variance is 28-40 degrees depending on top or bottom rack. At higher temps, the swing is greater.

Are you taking these temps with a third-party thermometer, or is this what the controller on the MAK is showing the temp to be? Guessing a third-party, as you mentioned 353 and 358 which the controller will not display as it displays in 5° increments.

I’ve used 2 separate calibrated 3rd party controllers. The display shows the set temp, but isn’t the same as the other temp probes. I’m tracking the thermocouple and 3rd party controller will read different temps, but 30-60 degrees is a big difference. Thermocouple was cleaned and louvers clean. Top probe is obviously hotter than bottom as expected. 10 degrees or so so that seems normal.

I would ask Robb for a refund. On my next cook I will use my ambient probe from my Thermoworks Smoke and report back. I think I did this one time previously and the Smoke did show higher temperatures than the MAK'S.

I did one too. I ordered a new thermocouple just in case. If that’s the issue, it’s resolved. If not, I have an extra in case the original goes out.

MAK CS uninspiring

I contacted MAK regarding the temp discrepancy and after multiple emails of me letting them know the louvers and thermocouple was cleaned, they resorted to telling me everything seems normal. I disagreed and was finally told, I could start with the thermocouple to “resolve the issue” but he doesn’t think it would work. Talked to someone else at MAK that called me and he completely agreed that it sounds like the thermocouple went out and a new one should resolve the issue. Not completely impressed…Either way a new thermocouple should be here tomorrow or Tuesday.

Just seeing this, my first thought is, is the thermocouple clean?

Let us know if the new one fixes it.

“ me letting them know the louvers and thermocouple was cleaned”…first thing I did followed by checking the louvers. They were clean as well.

I’m not saying that you don’t have a problem but on my Rectec I decided the way to deal with my external probes not matching what the pit was reading was to stop trying to measure temp with another probe. I found I could drive myself crazy by worrying about it.

Under the right atmospheric conditions, if I put the probe in the dead center of the pit it would tend to be pretty close. Put it off to the side to get it out of the way of the meat — all over the place. Also I’d get very different readings when it was cold outside vs having the pit sit in the sun on a summer day.

I usually don’t measure temps, but last 2 cooks I burned foods that I never burned before and other foods we’re getting cooked faster than normal. I did it to see if the pit was indeed running hotter than I was thinking. I always set the external probe within an inch of the thermocouple.

Finally getting back to this thread. You have a newer 2*, correct? If yes, it has the roaming thermocouple. Have you tried placing the thermocouple on the grate (anywhere you want) vs leaving it perched on its bracket? Part of what you’re experiencing is the reason MAK made the TC to be roaming. Definitely worth a shot!

I have an older 1*. (Few years old). The new thermocouple just came in today so I’m going to get it installed today and see if there’s a difference. I’m not mad if thermocouple went bad. Hell, the pit has been to NC, FL, and GA. If that’s the worst that happened, I’m very happy. Just got a bad taste of MAK’s CS especially when 2 people tell me different things with one telling me “it’s working fine, but you can start with the thermocouple. It’s $40, but I don’t think that’ll fix it.”

I have an older 1*. (Few years old). The new thermocouple just came in today so I’m going to get it installed today and see if there’s a difference. I’m not mad if thermocouple went bad. Hell, the pit has been to NC, FL, and GA. If that’s the worst that happened, I’m very happy. Just got a bad taste of MAK’s CS especially when 2 people tell me different things with one telling me “it’s working fine, but you can start with the thermocouple. It’s $40, but I don’t think that’ll fix it.”

I hear ya… and would feel the same if told competing things when trying to troubleshoot an issue. I think all companies, including MAK, have been hit hard by current times. Lots of companies dealing with new hires and the struggles that come with training and bringing the newbies up to speed… AND retaining them all in the process.

Back