Looking for some friendly TD clarification

BackYardRob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
When I prepared and posted my chicken burger, I went with the first line of the TD, "Cook burgers how you like them." But according to general rules, that burger is not allowed since I deep fried in an electric appliance and not in a pan of oil on an outdoor appliance. Also, my meatball parm burger is also not valid since I used the pan on my stove due to weather and not on an outdoor appliance as well. Am I correct?
Also, are you supposed to judge an entry based solely on the declared pic and not how it was prepared at all?
Furthermore, it seems some entries are not being declared according to the rules. Is that one right?
I am fine with any or all of my entries being not allowed, I'm trying to follow the rules and get clarifications that maybe others are also asking themselves. This is the ONLY site I belong to, and I chose it based on the vibe as well as the members. I like it here, and want to be sure I'm doing things right. Something to drink about, folks!!

Good questions.
I often see posts here about non BBQed food, don't know about the TDs though.
And your meatball parm burger looks good.

I found this in the TD rules.. Looks like outdoor cooking OR indoor fireplace.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135049

4. Entries must be grilled or smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature grilled or smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots). Using a gas grill is perfectly acceptable, unless a particular category requires the use of a wood or charcoal cooker. Additionally, other forms of wood or gas cooking are fine, which would include a wood fired fireplace (indoor or outdoor), a firepit(gas or wood fired), and other gas/propane powered cookers like pizza ovens, flat tops, and griddles.

I once got ejected for a sprig
KmGOJXth.jpg

Been trying to get together with Moose to go over this the last day or so, but work gets in the way. Since this a BBQ site, throwdown entries are meant to be grilled and/or smoked. The rules have changed some over the years, griddles have been added etc. Perhaps the rules need to be tweaked a bit to be more explicit as to what is allowed and what is not. Stay tuned for more complete info.

Been trying to get together with Moose to go over this the last day or so, but work gets in the way. Since this a BBQ site, throwdown entries are meant to be grilled and/or smoked. The rules have changed some over the years, griddles have been added etc. Perhaps the rules need to be tweaked a bit to be more explicit as to what is allowed and what is not. Stay tuned for more complete info.

Already know the answers to two of those and expect most of my entries to be removed, all good. But would ask for clarification on the voting question. Thanks.

Already know the answers to two of those and expect most of my entries to be removed, all good. But would ask for clarification on the voting question. Thanks.

Should only be judged by the Entry Pic. For one, you can only enter one pic into the TD. Would not be fair if voters never seen any pics of the cook. And two, not everyone has time to take pics during a cook. I know i usually don't.

Also, are you supposed to judge an entry based solely on the declared pic and not how it was prepared at all?
Depends on the person. Some people will just judge solely based on the entry pic. Many others will take a look at the QTalk thread to see how it was prepared and use that as well to decide. It's ultimately up to the voter. But the nicest entry pic doesn't always win.

Furthermore, it seems some entries are not being declared according to the rules. Is that one right?
That's one of the rules, but some people forget or don't follow the rule. We'll ask for clarification as we're not mind readers. We've also gotten replies of "use whichever pic you want", just remember we may not always pick the best one. It's your entry, you tell us what you'd like entered.

Throwdowns are fun, I enter whenever I can. I've had my fair share of zeros and Dilly Bars over the years but I continue to enter whenever I have time.

I think in Rob's case he expects to be dinged for using a cast iron skillet on his kitchen stove. IMO a skillet is a skillet. Wouldn't taste or look any different if cooked outdoors. And it was raining out. And no one would be the wiser if he hadn't posted a cook thread.

I think in Rob's case he expects to be dinged for using a cast iron skillet on his kitchen stove. IMO a skillet is a skillet. Wouldn't taste or look any different if cooked outdoors. And it was raining out. And no one would be the wiser if he hadn't posted a cook thread.

Dave,

Technically, you're right - it wouldn't have made a difference taste-wise if Rob had used an outdoor cooking contraption, and if he had only posted an entry photo, none would have been the wiser that it was cooked in his kitchen.

But, this IS a BBQ and Grilling forum, and entries are expected to be grilled or smoked in some capacity to qualify. The rules are plainly posted in the beginning of each entry thread, and it's up to participants to read those rules.

If we change the rules to allow kitchen cooked non-grilled/smoked entries, it really defeats the purpose of what we're doing here.

Other forums demand rather elaborate "proof-of-life" requirements to demonstrate the entry was actually cooked during the contest dates, among other things, which are a real PITA to administrate, not to mention make it more cumbersome for people to participate. We go by the honor system here, and most people are gracious enough to auto-correct once it's been pointed out they misunderstood a rule etc.

I appreciate Rob's sincerity and transparency here, and it should be a model for communicating constructively in situations like this, and I'm happy he's joined us here in the Throwdowns.

Amen.

This gets asked over and over. Pretty simple. Just smoke or grill your entry using some type of outdoor cooking apparatus.:bored:

Dave,

Technically, you're right - it wouldn't have made a difference taste-wise if Rob had used an outdoor cooking contraption, and if he had only posted an entry photo, none would have been the wiser that it was cooked in his kitchen.

But, this IS a BBQ and Grilling forum, and entries are expected to be grilled or smoked in some capacity to qualify. The rules are plainly posted in the beginning of each entry thread, and it's up to participants to read those rules.

If we change the rules to allow kitchen cooked non-grilled/smoked entries, it really defeats the purpose of what we're doing here.

Other forums demand rather elaborate "proof-of-life" requirements to demonstrate the entry was actually cooked during the contest dates, among other things, which are a real PITA to administrate, not to mention make it more cumbersome for people to participate. We go by the honor system here, and most people are gracious enough to auto-correct once it's been pointed out they misunderstood a rule etc.

I appreciate Rob's sincerity and transparency here, and it should be a model for communicating constructively in situations like this, and I'm happy he's joined us here in the Throwdowns.

Amen.

I absolutely understand, no question. Please remove my entries #2 &#3 from this throwdown. Good luck to all!!

I agree totally, Richard. Rob handled everything in a very civil way, with total integrity and exactly the way I would expect from the members here.
Rob, there's still another day for another entry if you are not burgered out:wink:

Back