THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
shoe
Started making my own sauces a while ago. After lots of searching and experimenting I think I have nailed down sauces that my family and I love"(better than any we can find in the store) for chicken and pork but I haven't found one yet that is a home run for beef.

I think I am looking for one similar to "Club House La Grille Montreal Steak BBQ sauce" to give you an idea of a store bought type that we like. (although I have no idea if that is available everywhere) and we once picked up some Budweiser labeled sauces in a multipack from Costco that was great (but only saw that one time there and have not seen it since) Some we are not crazy about, Bulls Eye and Stubbs don't impress.

Anyone have a beef sauce recipe suggestion for us to try?

Thanks

I use a recipe called Cinderella sauce from the old book Smoke and Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. I didn't want to post a recipe from a copyrighted book, but this guy reproduced it here: http://bbqbros.net/cinderella-sauce-for-beef-brisket-and-beef-short-ribs/

I leave out the anise seeds because I never have them on hand, and I don't really think I want that flavor in BBQ sauce anyway.

Sometimes when I make a 1/2 recipe and don't want to waste a whole beer for 1/2 a cup, I use a little molasses instead of the beer (bittersweet taste vaguely reminiscent of beer). Works fine.

I also use a version of this recipe without the cilantro and garlic as a basic pork rib sauce. It's surprisingly good on ribs for such a plane Jane sauce.

I use the Shack attack sauce on my tri-tip sammiches and most recently, deli thin sliced rump roast. I think it goes great with beef, even better if you let the sauce age in the fridge for 6+ weeks. A little goes a long way though, I just drop a couple teaspoons on the top bun and spread it into the bread with a knife. Not sure how it would work as a straight up bbq sauce on beef, but it's a great finishing sauce on just about anything.

The dipping sauce at Louie Meuller's is great. This is supposedly the original recipe. I've made it a few times, but it's not quite the same. Tried to tweak things a bit, but still no go. Anyone have any ideas?

Fountaine’s Sauce Recipe

By Fred Fountaine Pitmaster Louie Muller BBQ

1 quart (32 ounces) catsup
3 quarts water
2 onions the size of baseballs, cut up fine (use 1 ½ if they are the size of softballs)
2 beef bullion cubes
2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
¼ cup black pepper, or to taste

In large pan, combine all ingredients, going gently with salt and pepper first.

Bring to boil over high heat and boil vigorously 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low, tast and correct seasonings, and let simmer 40 minutes longer. At end, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil again. Then it’s done. Bottle in clean bottle or jars and store in refrigerator. Makes about two quarts.

Blackjack sauce sounds pretty good too, but have never made it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2760301&postcount=31

The dipping sauce at Louie Meuller's is great. This is supposedly the original recipe. I've made it a few times, but it's not quite the same. Tried to tweak things a bit, but still no go. Anyone have any ideas?

Fountaine’s Sauce Recipe

By Fred Fountaine Pitmaster Louie Muller BBQ

1 quart (32 ounces) catsup
3 quarts water
2 onions the size of baseballs, cut up fine (use 1 ½ if they are the size of softballs)
2 beef bullion cubes
2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
¼ cup black pepper, or to taste

In large pan, combine all ingredients, going gently with salt and pepper first.

Bring to boil over high heat and boil vigorously 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low, tast and correct seasonings, and let simmer 40 minutes longer. At end, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil again. Then it’s done. Bottle in clean bottle or jars and store in refrigerator. Makes about two quarts.

Blackjack sauce sounds pretty good too, but have never made it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2760301&postcount=31

I've never had Louie Mueller's sauce, so I don't know what it is supposed to taste like. But just looking at that recipe, it seems very odd. Three parts water to one part ketchup? And no vinegar? I can't imagine it would have much flavor.

Back