Look What I Won From The Brisket Throwdown! BRISKET & CHILI PRON!

silverfinger

Babbling Farker
A 13 OZ container of SM Sweet & Spicy Rub:becky: Thanks Steph!
IMG_7280_zps8ab43e93.jpg

And I did it just by entering a Throwdown here in Q-Talk!

If you'r wondering if you have what it takes to win a throwdown, I just want you to know that this was the first time I cooked A whole brisket.

Here are some photos of my 4th of July cook.

Since Ive never cooked a whole brisket before I wanted to get the best cut I could find.
So I went to Bristol Farms and bought a choice brisket!
IMG_6849_zpsc8dcc145.jpg

IMG_6852_zps2f24e28b.jpg

I started out by trimming the fat cap back to about a 1/4" and lightly seasoning with kosher salt, corse black pepper and Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow. I did not want to over-season the brisket but to just get enough to complement the flavors of the meat.
IMG_6882_zpsd1ad5453.jpg

I put the brisket on my 50 year old Kamado with some hardwood briquets and a fist sized chunk of HICKORY to add just a light wood flavor, again to complement the flavor, but not overpower the flavor of the brisket. (notice the beautifully seasoned pit)
IMG_6879_zps7e146f41.jpg

Here she is giving off a light blue smoke at 220 degrees.
IMG_6880_zps8168f587.jpg

I smoked this brisket for 10 hours at 220. It was probe tender and full of juice when I pulled it and wrapped in a blanket to rest for another 2 hours.
IMG_6894_zpsdf2295f7.jpg

OH YES!:becky: LOOK AT THE BARK! WOOF!
IMG_6909_zps132751d5.jpg

Take a look at that smoke ring and the juice all over the cutting board!
IMG_6911_zps771aa2d5.jpg

IMG_6914_zps2082c514.jpg

Lets not forget the bend test! PASS!
IMG_6916_zps1d4180cd.jpg

Heres a look at the fatcap side of the brisket! Yes, it tasted as good as it looked!
user17974_pic7622_1373045285_zps3e107f17.jpg

I ended up saving two pounds of the brisket to make some chili.
Now, Ive never made chile either but remembered the chili recipe Wampus posted awhile back so I looked it up and got started. I just want to say that the Chili was a huge hit! I could not believe how much chili I made and how fast it was gone:twitch: Thanks Wampus!:clap:

Wampus's Big Boy Brisket Chili

Ingredients
2 lbs smoked brisket point meat, fat trimmed and cubed to about 3/4" (I usually just use the meat from 1 point, but it ends up about 2 lbs +/-)
2 pounds COURSE ground beef chuck (ask your local meat department for "chili" or "course" grind. It's when they run it through the larger plate only)
1 pound bulk country sausage
3 (15 ounce) cans mild chili beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can spicy chili beans
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 green chile peppers, seeded and FINELY chopped (I usually do jalepenos, but have done serranos too)
1 tablespoon bacon bits
4 cubes beef bouillon
1 bottle of dark beer
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (I usually use Tabasco)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos (optional for serving)
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese (optional for serving)
Sour cream (optional for serving)

Directions

Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. I usually slow cook it for AT LEAST 3 hours. Add in brisket meat at VERY END to warm through only (usually last 1/2 hour will do it). If brisket is added too soon, it will crumble and fall apart.
To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips, shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
This chili was developed from another recipe that I tweaked here and there enough to call it mine. It's not a HOT chili, but it does have a little back end heat. If you like it hotter, you could leave in the pepper seeds and veins, but my family loves it this way and they don't do HOT, so it's just right for us. My mom even loves it and she is NOT a spicy food person. I think it's got a great balance.

I started out by making some ground chuck.
IMG_6945_zps03d4da83.jpg

IMG_6948_zpsb16337a0.jpg

Ground chuck and sausage.
IMG_6957_zps3cdf8e7f.jpg

Lots and lots of ingredients.
IMG_6958_zpsa1650ba4.jpg

Beer!
IMG_6961_zps1b8b228c.jpg

Before I put in the brisket.
IMG_6964_zps0dc4aedd.jpg

Put in 2 pounds of chopped brisket after I let it cook for 3 hours.
IMG_6973_zps2fb9922a.jpg

IMG_6976_zpsafac0e9d.jpg

One ladle and bowl full of Wampus's Big Boy Brisket Chili. 3 1/2 hour cook.
IMG_6984_zps98b37691.jpg

IMG_6991_zps980d31b3.jpg

This has to be my favorite cook I have done since I joined the BBQ Brethren!
Thanks to all who have helped me become a better cook! There is no way I could have done this a year ago and I still have so much to learn.

Last edited:
How sharp IS your knife.............:twitch:

Not as sharp as GTR'S:redface:
I did use a stone to sharpen it before I cut the brisket, but I tend to stay away from the razor sharp blades for now because I'm so accident prone:rolleyes:

A close look at my hands and you will see that I am the man of a thousand cuts:twitch:

Back