THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
I'm doing a rib cook off this weekend, and I'm still undecided about how I'm handling the baby back portion of the competition.

I've done very well with St. Louis spares so I am set in my way with them, but I have been lack-luster treating the loin backs the same way.

Anyone have some thoughts on changing it up with the BB's? I'm leaning towards brining them to hopefully add a little more water retention to keep them juicier .... maybe those salt molecules will help a bit!

It would help if you posted what you currently do with the baby back ribs.

Usual trim - membrane etc. I use a base coat of rub that mostly SPG light on both sides. Then the sweet rub heavier. Typical 3-2-1 with AJ, butter, brown sugar during foil phase. Will check them earlier than spares to see if the bone is really pulling back, and if so pull from foil sooner. Glaze, set back in smoker slice and turn in. Pretty much the same as my spares. I do realize loins can get done faster so I plan to pay more attention to that this year than in previous comps. Anyone use IT as a measurement between the bones to check for doneness versus the typical pull/toothpick etc tests.

My baby back bane continues...

2nd place in St. Louis out of 54 teams and tied 29th/30th for baby backs ... back to the drawing board (pun intended).

Back