Leftover Stew and Hot Crackers

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Leftovers included, basically third drawer, first shelf and MSU.

Cubed tri Tip, cubed slovacek smoked sausage, chopped broccoli, cflower, onion, garlic, celery, green Chile, carrot, Rotel tomato, can of tomato basil soup, water-- seasoned with Lawry's and Julio's. Instant pot 23 slow release. Served with hot Crackers and bottled water. Winds gusting to 50 freaking mph.
Reservation Dogs on the box.

Last edited:
I was gonna ask how you make your hot crackers. Now I see.

Craig,

I've posted the firecracker recipe before and it is tried and true. However, below that recipe are several other variations that I have collected over the years. I use the top recipe, the others are someday recipes, meaning I probably will never make them. There is even a smoked Cheezit recipe from here on the brethren that I included that I have tried and is really good. Also, try oyster crackers in place of the saltines.

I apologize for the different fonts and formats.

firecracker recipe----

1lb crackers (normally use saltines)
1 1\3 cup canola oil
1 pk dry ranch dressing
3 tbs red pepper flakes (normally 1 is enough)

Mix the liquid mixture really well. I use an immersion blender

Put crackers in large plastic container and pour mixture over crackers
tumble often for about 15 minutes until oil is no longer running down the sides of the container and is fully absorbed into the crackers
Cracker variations: saltines, Ritz, oyster crackers, Cheeze-its or the cheese flavored goldfish crackers.

Variation: Good
Tried using 1 1/3 cup bacon grease. Also added 1 tsp each of granulated garlic, granulated onion and black pepper and ½ Tbsp of Tajin seasoning. Next time I would bake in 250 degree oven for 15-20 minutes after the crackers had sat for 12-14 hours.

Alabama firecracker

Ingredients
•1⅔ cups olive oil (you can use other oils, we just prefer EVOO)
•1 teaspoon garlic powder
•1 teaspoon onion powder
•½ teaspoon black pepper
•2 (1 ounce) envelopes ranch dressing mix
•3 Tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes (we used a little more, for a little more spice!)
•1 (16 oz.) package of saltine crackers (we used multigrain but you can use any… also, yes you need all 4 sleeves of crackers)

Instructions
1.Grab a huge ziplock bag. at least a gallon or more. We used a 2 gallon bag for our doubled recipe and it was still more than enough.
2.Open the bag and pour in the olive oil, the garlic and onion powder, the black pepper, ranch dressing mix and crushed red pepper flakes.
3.Close the bag and using your hands, knead the ingredients together combining the oil and spices. (this can also be done in a bowl and stirred, however you will have a lot of it stick to the sides when pouring it into the bag).
4.Now, place the crackers inside the bag. Yes, all of them.
5.Re-seal the bag and turn the bag over and over again coating the crackers with the spice mixture. The more you do this, the better coverage there is. Then, let the bag sit for about an hour and turn it again a few more times.
6.Allow the bag to sit for at least 12 hours, if not more. (overnight is good)
7.Remove the crackers and serve.

Read more: http://dailydishrecipes.com/missour...aka-alabama-firecracker-recipe/#ixzz35lQeeuJg

Firecrackers Recipe
Alabama Fire Cracker Saltines
Kate Robertson
Because sometimes you don't want to turn on the oven.
Ingredients
16 oz package of saltine crackers

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp black pepper

4 tbsp (2 packages) ranch dressing mix

3 Tbsp red pepper flakes

2 cups olive oil

Instructions
1. Using a large gallon Ziploc bag, pour in the olive oil, seasonings, and spices. Close the bag and knead to thoroughly mix the ingredients together.

2. Place all 4 sleeves of crackers in the bag, re-seal, and gently turn the bag over several times to coat the crackers with the spice mixture. The more times you do this the better the coating.

3. Let the bag sit overnight.

4. Remove crackers and lay out on a baking sheet. Bake at 250°F for about 15 minutes.

Note: If you are short on time, the crackers still taste great skipping the baking Step 4.

fire Crackers
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 tbs crushed red pepper
2 pks Ranch dressing mix
2 cups Canola oil
1 box Saltine crackers (all 4 pks)
Mix and pour into a 2 gallon zip bag
Toss lightly until all the oil is absorbed.
* Best to wait 24 hours before inhaling

Crack-Tastic Crackers

Ingredients :
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
1 packet ranch dressing mix
2 T. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 sleeves saltine crackers
parmesan cheese

Directions :
In a large bowl combine melted butter, dressing mix, pepper flakes, and garlic powder. Add crackers, 1 sleeve at a time, and gently with your hand toss to coat the crackers. Let sit in the bowl while the oven preheats to 250 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with tin foil. Spread crackers out on tin foil and bake for 15 minutes, remove and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and turn the crackers over. Sprinkle with more cheese and return to over for 10 minutes.

Original Redneck Bar Firecracker Recipe

• 4 sleeves of saltine crackers (the whole box)
  • 1/2 cup of butter flavored popcorn oil
  • 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 packet of Ranch dressing mix
  • 4 tsp of your favorite bbq rub
  • 1 tsp of granulated garlic or garlic powder
  • 2 TBL of crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 TBL of cayenne pepper (optional for extra heat)

1. Dump saltines in a XL zip lock bag or some other large container with a lid.
  2. Put all the other ingredients in a container and heat slowly in the microwave to help mix the flavors (warm the oil, not super hot). Stir to mix evenly.
  3. Pour the warm oil & spice mix into the container/bag of crackers
  4. Close the container/bag. If using a bag, leave as much air in the bag as possible as you want the crackers to be able to tumble to distribute the oil/spice mix.
  5. Lightly roll the bag/container of crackers to coat and then let them sit to absorb the oil/spice flavors into the cracker.

These are great as is on saltines, cheeze-its or the cheese flavored goldfish crackers. When I use cheeze-its or goldfish, I just change out the crackers and use a large box of cheeze-its or one of the bags of goldfish from Sam's Club (Sam's sells a big box with two large bags inside, recipe works perfect with 1 bag). The oil/spice mix remains the same for any of the cracker bases.

Smoked Cheetos

I got the “smoked Crunchy Cheetos" idea from some Brethren or Cistern here several years ago. My apologies, I didn't bookmark the thread so I've lost your name. Google’s site-searching turns up many hits for "cheetos" which makes it kinda hard to track you down to give credit where credit’s due.

> Time and temp and cooker?
About the same as cold smoking blocks of cheese ...

- TIME
2+ hours, to taste. Cheetos’ oily nature absorbs smoke like I absorb Cheetos. I tend to oversmoke, it helps to have a taste tester who’s smell-buds aren’t saturated with hardwood smoke. Volunteers aren’t hard to find!

Just like cheese, Cheetos benefit from resting before eating. Cheetos do well with a couple of days.

- TEMP
Under 70F (21C) in the smoker, so 50F-ish (10C-ish) or less ambient to account for the smoke generator’s additional heat (see below.)

‘Tos are delicate , 80F+ (27C+) kills them.

- COOKER
I use a 30 watt Harbor Freight soldering iron in a can full of mild hardwood chips for smoke.

I've smoked 'tos in the OTG with all vents wide open and the lid ajar ...

and I've smoked ‘em with the same smoke generator (on top of a heat resistant rock) in an Alton Brown-inspired cardboard box smoker with equal results.

I serve smoked Crunchy Cheetos with slices of lo’n’slowed thick-sliced bacon and, of course, free beer.

On a Cheetos related note, crushed Cheetos - smoked or not - make an excellent crunchy Mac&Cheese topping. Cheetos don’t like heat, put it on after the M&C is all done cooking.

1 1/3 cup oil. I used corm oil because that is what I have.
1 Heaping TBSP red pepper flakes
1 TBSP cayanne pepper
1 TBSP garlic powder
2 Packets ranch dressing powder
2 Tubes saltine crackers (recipe is generally four tubes but I wanted to also have Club crackers)
About 2 tubes worth of Club crackers.

Place all ingredients into a 2 gallon zip lock (except the crackers). Mix ingredients together.

Add crackers. Toss but don't break. Let them rest and toss them a couple more times over the next couple hours. Then crack a brew and get ready. Some sharp cheddar is going to really work with this. Holy CRAP!

_______________ [FONT=&quot]Killer Spicy Pretzels & Awesome Addicting Fire Crackers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Pretzels (I suggest using Snyders pretzel pieces)
Crackers ( can be any kind or brand )
2 cups vegetable oil
2 packages Ranch Dressing Seasoning
2-4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1-1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese ( can be fresh or just the shaker kind )[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I make the pretzels first....
Pour 2 cups vegetable oil in a medium sized bowl
Add cayenne pepper, garlic powder and the Ranch seasoning.... Mix it all up real good
Then pour a handful of pretzels in and stir them around until well coated, use a slotted spoon and let excess drop off in the bowl. Lay pretzels out on a cookie sheet, they can overlap that's fine... Put pretzels aside and let's get working on the crackers now[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Add the red pepper flakes and the Parmesan cheese to the mixture ( you can also add a little more vegetable oil if you think you need it)
Stir to mix well and do the same things with the crackers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Place both in 200 degree oven for 15 minutes, take out and stir, put back in oven for another 15 minutes. Do this 4 times. So it's a total of 1 hour baking.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Warning.... Highly addictive and goes great with a beer or a sweet iced tea![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Try the top recipe. I really intend to try the bottom recipe this holiday season. I would think substituting the saltines for oyster crackers and the pretzels would make a great addition to Chex mix along with the smoked Cheezits and perhaps the smoked Cheetos.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Robert
[/FONT]

Back