Leftover Brisket Three Ways

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
A couple weeks ago I "shaned" a brisket. This is what I did with part of it...

Leftover Brisket Three Ways

Two weeks ago I screwed up a brisket. Not really sure what went wrong, probably just bad meat, but it turned out tough and dry. I wasn’t about to throw out $25.00 worth of beef because it was dry. I figured I’d just cut it all into chunks, vacuum seal and wait for chili weather. There’s nothing better in this world than a good chili made with brisket.

However one package of the brisket isn’t going to make it into the chili pot. The other day I went looking in the freezer for something to eat and decided to come up with something using the brisket.

With Mrs. Grail out of town for a couple weeks I had to come up a recipe that was something I would be willing to eat a couple of times over the next week or so. I decided a knock-off of beef bourguignon was going to be my meals for a couple of days.

There must be a billion different versions of beef bourguignon on the internet and in cookbooks so I read about 20 of them and decided to just channel my inner Julia Child and see what I could come up with.

Traditionally beef bourguignon or beef burgundy is made with burgundy which for a non-alcohol drinking household posed an immediate challenge. I needed to come up with the fruitiness of burgundy but not the alcohol. I think I came up with a good alternative. Does the final dish have the exact same flavor profile than it would have with burgundy? Don’t know, but it still tasted pretty darn good. To get the fruitiness I used a bottle of IBC Black Cherry soda that I reduced to syrup which I added to the dish while cooking.

I diced up the brisket and tossed in some diced rib eye I had in the refrigerator. The recipe I came up with is a little different than the traditional beef burgundy as far as the herbs and spices is concerned. I had to be careful to come up with something that worked with the rub I used when I originally smoked the brisket.

The thyme is normal but the Herbs de Provence is my addition. The savory and fennel, in the Herbs de Provence helped to soften the flavor from the rub so you could taste the mushrooms and tomato paste.
Here are the three ways I used the Brisket Bourguignon.

Sloppy Brisketwich

Brisket Bourguignon Shepherd’s Pie

And something a little more traditional Brisket Bourguignon over bow tie pasta

Brisket "Bourguignon"

Ingredients

• 1 bottle IBC Black Cherry Soda
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup shallots, finely diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup celery, diced
  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds smoked brisket, small cubed
  • 3 cups beef broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions

1. Pour the black cherry soda in a medium sauce pan and reduce over medium high heat until a thick syrup. Stir often to avoid scorching. Set aside.
  2. In a large skillet or small dutch oven heat the olive oil and saute the bell pepper and celery for a couple of minutes, just until they start to soften.
  3. Add shallots and garlic and continue cooking until soft.
  4. Add cubed brisket to pan and stir to combine with vegetables.
  5. Add beef broth and cook until hot.
  6. Add thyme and Herbs de Provence (or whatever herbs you use)
  7. Add tomato paste and cook until brisket is tender
  8. Add mushrooms and cook until mushroom are soft.
  9. The mushrooms will release a lot of liquid so only add extra water or broth if necessary.
PRINT THE RECIPE

Good use of a bad episode.................... A while ago I smoked one that was on the dry side so I shredded it up in the crock pot with beef boullion and garlic n pepper. Too expensive of a cut for the crock pot but some really good sandwiches.

Good use of a bad episode.................... A while ago I smoked one that was on the dry side so I shredded it up in the crock pot with beef boullion and garlic n pepper. Too expensive of a cut for the crock pot but some really good sandwiches.

Crock pot que??? Lock your doors and pull the blinds before the "crock pot police" show up at your door step.:boxing: Don't tell, but I have been known to take pulled pork and simmer in some diluted q-sauce in the crock pot and make some killer sammies.:oops:

My dad purchased a very inexpensive meat grinder when I was a kid and would grind all kinds of leftover foods. He would grind leftover roast beef and make meat spreads and such. Looking good!
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-Meat-Grinder-Pro/dp/B001G6KE8U/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1342393949&sr=1-7"]Amazon.com: Back To Basics Meat Grinder Pro: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Wow, that all looks great ... but what is this leftover brisket of which you speak? I believe it is an entirely mythical beast.

Wow, that all looks great ... but what is this leftover brisket of which you speak? I believe it is an entirely mythical beast.

Well, it's leftover because I "shaned" it and it wasn't edible as sliced brisket. On those occasions where I have a perfect brisket there isn't anything leftover.

Thanks Larry.

I've got leftover chucky... Why didn't I think of Shepards pie with that?:doh:

I must be losing it!

Nice thread!

Cheers!

Bill

Nice one Larry. I make the shepherd's pie with leftover chuck on the occasion that there is any. Love the brisket mod.

"There’s nothing better in this world than a good chili made with brisket."

Amen Brother!

But your brisky bourguignon looks smashing, especially that shepherds pie!

Back