Korean BBQ Meatballs

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
The Gochujang experiment continues!

A recent Chef John video prompted me to give these a try. I followed his recipe almost to the letter and these Korean BBQ Meatballs didn't disappoint. Check out his recipe on foodwishes.com for all the details.

The meatballs after sitting in the fridge for an hour or so. (I did take heed of his "ginger will tenderize the meat" warning, placing the minced ginger in a little vinegar to deactivate the enzymes.) -

VIAxUq7.jpg

Since I had 3 lbs of ground beef, some of it was turned into large onion burgers for Stuffed Peppers later this week (taking a page from Marty's playbook) -

fMdQ7Nt.jpg

Rather than making the sauce in the CI skillet I opted to get it going on the stove -

MAe03h1.jpg

Out to the Goldens' we go with the Lodge CI skillet. For some extra heat, I used a few tablespoons of the Red Chili Oil I made a week ago before placing the meatballs in the skillet -

yACcycZ.jpg

vIjChGP.jpg

After grilling and turning them for 15-20 minutes, I drained the excess oil, added the meatballs back to the skillet and poured some of the sauce over them -

uzdPNlu.jpg

Ug2ERys.jpg

It's ready! Gotta make it look pretty for serving. I made some rice using the rice cooker. Garnished with Sesame Seeds and Green Onion -

htTDZ4V.jpg

qqvTjrs.jpg

IUZLfkn.jpg

A few Korean BBQ Meatballs for me -

f0FNHm5.jpg

rbYZ4jX.jpg

EuF9u2N.jpg

These were awesome! Really nice heat, the meat was flavorful and tender. I stepped out of my comfort zone, having never made these before.

Most definitely a keeper and Gochujang will be making appearances in more of my cooks. I can't believe how good these were!

Thanks for following along on the continuing experiments with Gochujang. I've you've never tried it, do so. I'm hooked.

Regards,
-lunchman

Been wanting to try Gochujang, your last two cooks may have pushed me over the edge. But I guess my invite was lost in the mail yet again...

Oooh. Was just looking at different meatball ideas for an upcoming food exchange/contest. I love Korean food and always keep gochuang and doenjang around. Looks great, now you've got me thinking..

That meal looks awesome and like something that I would probably eat too much of, but I would be okay with that! Nice job, Dom.

Looks so good and the plate is perfect!

I think I'm going to try this and the only change I might make is to use a 50/50 beef pork blend.

Back